Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Digging

The title should get me some of Pam's traffic if I was interested in stealing her blog traffic, but I am digging away under the cabin before the ground freezes this weekend most likely. There are some hefty boulders popping out of this hillside.














I'm cutting six feet back from the pillars to give myself a foot for the width of the wall, thus five feet of patio behind the pillars. After that is done then I will need to dig the actual footing below the floor level that the wall will sit on.














Lots o' rocks and lots o' roots.














Being under employed is exhausting. I think I'll be ready for a snow day when it comes. Maybe two.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pam @ Digging says:

It's all starting to take shape, and I see your vision now. That will be very nice.

And after all that boulder excavation, you go right ahead and title this post "Digging." You've certainly been doing a lot of it.

Frances, said...

That is a lot o' diggin'. What is the finished height of the patio going to be? It is hard to tell without some kind of perspective but I'm sure it is plenty spacious. We have an area under our garage deck that is less than six feet tall. All of our family can easily move under there without bending. Tall visitors have referred to it as the hobbit house. It is our revenge.

Christopher C. NC said...

The overall dimensons will be 14' wide at the apex of the curve in the dry stacked wall, 35' long and 6'11'' tall, ie to the bottom of the main girder that you walk under.

Marvin said...

Looks as if you definitely deserve a snow day or two.

Anonymous said...

It is looking downright inviting! I'll wait until you finish digging though! You will be really buff when you are done! No need for weightlifting! LOL

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Wow christopher it looks like you are going to have a great patio when you are finished. I was wondering how tall it would be and plenty long too.

You can probably see a green aura emminating from here. I think you are quite lucky to have all those stones. However the back breaking work you are doing would seem overwhelming to me. I can't imagine swining a pick or even hefting the fulcrum you must use to move those bolders. Whew.

Rock on...

lisa said...

No snow yet? Nobody can say that you aren't staying busy in your under-employment, that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Incredible wall. Incredible project.

mss @ Zanthan Gardens