Friday, December 16, 2016

Minor Adjustments

I came upon a pile red clay pipe sections
Laying in a thicket of green laurel.
They said to me
I know exactly where we're going.
We're going to join in with lines of color.





















We're going to get ourselves back in a garden. And so it came to be. Another line of color was added in the garden. It may be a temporary contemplation aid until I find the right color of evergreen plant for this half sun location, but it works for now in the barren time.





















I got to thinking some more. The upside down metal arbor on the Great Lawn had never flowed quite right. It was always a bit jarring, a bad note. Four years later a solution presented itself.





















You see the thing is heavy. It had been bent out of shape by a heavy snow while encased in vines and ripped out of the stone base it was bolted into. I couldn't make it stand back up.

In the barren, I saw a support it could lean against. The arbor was moved and nailed to the side of a tree. More betta. Less jarring. Now it will pull your eye in a more pleasant fashion over and to the edge of the framing around the Great Lawn. Next I need to find about five or six Doghobble to follow me home to finish that frame.





















All I need is the time and a half decent day and the mass of brown sticks that is the Flowering Raspberry and Hydrangea will be chopped down and dug up. I can pull rooted stem pieces out of the 'Streib's Findling' Cotoneaster and plant them right away.

I see that dark green, super flat ground cover extending to the right almost to that upper iris patch, the dark sky in a starry night.





















And before the wind chilly made it too cold, there was one more thing. I simply was not going to be looking at bright orange tape on my baby deciduous shrubberies all winter long while waiting for the utility company's tree butchers to return. Who knows when they will be back.

The little details do matter, even in a wild cultivated garden.


2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

My goodness you have been busy these cold winter days.

Jan O said...

You have! Like the progress. :-)