Monday, June 15, 2020

Bloom Day At The Inn At Tranquility Farm

My garden is still soaking wet and hail ravaged. I already did a Bloom Day With Ugly Leaves. There is bound to be a repeat of that as is. Hail is not pretty. So today let's go on a tour of the Inn at Tranquility Farm. No hail there. Hydrangea will be the big feature for this Bloom Day tour.




















This is what you get when Hydrangea macrophylla does not freeze to the ground over the winter. Flowers in June. They freeze to the ground in late winter quite often in these parts.




















With flower in this bed is Nepeta, hardy Geranium and Daphne.




















This part of the garden is five years old now. It was formerly lawn.




















Roses and daylily.




















Clematis that has the wilt. I think that is why you don't see a lot of clematis in gardens around here. The wilt.




















This one bed has Hydrangea macrophylla, H. arborescens and H. paniculata.




















I snuck a Persicaria polymorpha in just to watch it grow in a proper garden.




















Twin Falls Pond is swimming along. I have been through a number of fish over the years. Damn varmints! I'm kinda over it, but still a bit determined to grow me a fish that is too big to eat.




















A small clump forming Filipendula with Darmera peltata. My Damera got pelted to shreds.






















The bride goes here. I have been unsuccessful in all these years of getting the tent removed. The plants underneath, while not fully happy, have done surprisingly well.




















More hydrangea. The hardy geranium are on the down side of peak bloom.




















The porch with the view.




















It is year three for the Almighty Falls. There were some pump problems this spring and it had to be rebuilt. I was most fortunate to have a former motor engineer handy who could do the job. It's up and running.

I have managed to get a number of plants growing on constantly wet solid rock. The weeds helped. I kept the pretty and sculptural ones. The 'Black Gamecock' Louisiana Iris in there is about to come into full bloom.




















The Wedding Cake garden is at the beginning of year two. Its first spring.




















The Ditch Lilies came with the place.




















The Staghorn Sumac is finally beginning to look as intended. Now it needs to do fall right. I have this bad feeling we don't have quite the right weathers for that.




















So how is this cake baking thing going?




















Well. There have been long dry spells and deer that are fond of the native Hydrangea. This is a nativar, Hydrangea arborescens 'Wee White', a very dwarf selection without much take away for browsing. Cayenne pepper seems to have finally done the trick




















The hosta are doing fine as long as nobody eats them. The 'Biokovo' hardy geranium is mostly good. There seems to be a bad patch in the bed where they struggle a bit.




















Hope you enjoyed the tour of the Inn. For more Bloom Day touring visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens.


5 comments:

Phillip Oliver said...

Very nice!

Commonweeder said...

Wow! So many beauties. So much going on! I am so glad I visited.

Nancy said...

Gardening on a slope!! I fear that would defeat me, but you have obviously become an expert at it. Glad your hostas haven't become a salad bar for pesky critters. And, I love your hydrangeas!

Christopher C. NC said...

Thanks Phillip. I think your garden has more plant wow.

Glad you stopped by Commonweeder.

Nancy I have been gardening on slopes, a volcano, now mountains for 30 plus years. My joints are beginning to talk at me.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This garden is coming into its own. Looking good despite the deer etc.