Monday, June 2, 2008

Multiplication

A few more nice plants fell out of the ground at Client #1's today. Some Joe Pye Weed, Eupatorium fistulosum and Shasta Daisy, Chrysanthemum maximum. Lest you think I am totally horrible, what fell into the ground and caused this disruption was an Aesculus pavia, three Exbury Azalea, one Blueberry, a dozen Hosta, Pentas and Salvia nemorosa 'East Friesland'. Tomorrow a Contorted Filbert, Corylus avellana and a Smoketree, Cotinus coggygria will be disturbing some Rudbeckia.

The Shasta Daisies got divided into eight starts and placed between what I hope is the purple Coneflower, Echinacea and a row of Daylilies.



A little higher up the hill and closer to the driveway, the beginning of a mulched bed has commenced. The Joe Pye Weed landed behind the Salvia where the one I bought and planted last fall has shown no sign of returning.



And some of the baby plants I grew from the seed exported from Chicago were planted in the ground.



There is more Salvia nemorosa to begin the huge drift of this I have in mind. The first Texas Bluebonnet, there are more, and Campanula were added. They are just filler flowers in this bed as a garden grows. It is starting to look a bit like a garden in spots.

6 comments:

chuck b. said...

Oooh, I admire every species of Aesculus. A. pavia is co-parent of the much beloved Aesculus x carnea, or pink-flowering horse chestnut. If I ever have a bigger garden that'll be one of the first things I plant.

Shasta Daisies are number one on my list of plants-that-I-need this year! What a classic. You know they were invented by legendary California horticulturist Luther Burbank.

Seeing you plant out foxglove, salvia, bluebonnet, and campanula in mulched beds is causing me to quiver with anticipation. (I assume some of the Chicago seed is foxglove...?)

I'm going to start visiting your blog three times a day instead of just two.

Christopher C. NC said...

I'm not sure if any of the Foxglove survived. The only one I thought was Foxglove has finally begun to grow out of the miniscule seedling stage. It is still in a pot. There is a subtle difference in the leaves of many of what I think is the Campanula. Maybe some of them are Foxglove. Things got spun around in the winter weather.

Other seeds I sowed in the trays weeks ago are only now germinating since it has "warmed" up. The seed trays all got moved outside when the resident gardeners returned and I couldn't have all that in the house. I didn't label well and outside things get moved around a fair bit. It is a bit of a guessing game on what is showing up.

Now I know Shasta Daisy has a California connection.

chuck b. said...

I have a hard time maintaining plant labels on seedlings too, esp. late in the season when it's a mad dash to get everything started. Once I forgot about a flat of seedlings I left in a plastic bin. It filled with rainwater and created seedling soup. That was sad.

I think campanula are hard to tell apart from other plants in general, even with flowers. I haven't read up on them either so I'm not sure what makes them what they are.

Frances, said...

Hi Christopher, I see foxgloves in your pix, you can save seeds from those is you don't have any others. Your mulched bed is looking very gardeny, and client number uno will have a beautiful group of plants too. About the witch hazel, doesn't Rheems Creek have one? Or BB Barns? Mine was mail ordered from wayside, Diane. It is a great color, but seems to be ahead of the daffodils, I wanted them to be together. Anything interesting in the mail lately?

Christopher C. NC said...

Why yes Frances, just the other day a little package arrived from Digitalistan and Salviastan. I grew that Salvia coccinea in Hawaii. The bees loved it. I don't think it is hardy here, more of an self seeding annual?

I am beginning to wonder if all the Foxglove lived and that is what I have and the campanula is what bit the dust.

A Witch Hazel would cost me real money. It may have to wait a spell before I can buy one.

Frances, said...

Oh good, glad you got them. The salvias are indeed annual, but self sow in the gravel like crazy, not as much in the actual nice soil beds where they are grown so they get moved there when large enough. The seeds I save are from the black calyx red flowered ones, they are prettier than the green calyx, but some may be that too. I am awash in foxglove seeds, so thought you could use some more. It is time here to scatter them outside, the salvias too, I suggest your gravel. ;->