Wednesday, December 3, 2014

A Proper Civilized Garden

Can you see it yet? Imagine the hydrangeas leafed back out, the beds filled with flowering perennials and two benches placed on opposite ends. An idea in my head begins to take shape.





















I am thinking metal edging and decomposed granite paths. I don't want the edging to be very noticeable or take up much space. It could be stone or fake stone bricks if need be. That needs to be discussed with the Lady Of The House first.

One bench goes at the base of the tree in front of the blue truck.





















I do believe the oval shape of the paths around the fountain needs some adjustment before the paths are set in stone. It can be a touch more symmetrical.

This is a proper garden. I planted a few things twice because they weren't lined up quite right.

The other bench goes between the two 'Aurora' Dogwoods.





















When the fountain went in I raked out the paths to reveal the shape of the beds. I wasn't sure the idea in my head was getting fully across with the words I was using to explain it. Seeing it makes it all the more apparent.

Seeing a proper civilized garden take shape makes the wildness of my own garden all that more apparent.


5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I bet you can work off any civilized tendancies you might have in this garden. It is coming along nice.

Christopher C. NC said...

One would hope so, but I think civilized is a bit contagious. It's a good thing I can appreciate all styles of gardening.

Sallysmom said...

I love the idea of granite paths.

beverly said...

Wondering if it is big enough to support two benches and the fountain? Surfeit of focal points. Just a thought. As for civilization, depends on one's point of view. I like your organized chaos better, just my taste, but the world needs civilization also.

Christopher C. NC said...

I am going to push for the decomposed granite paths Sallysmom, There are enough paved and decked surfaces. More would be overkill.

Bev two benches and the fountain is definitely filling the space with focal points. It will work for several reasons. The benches will each face very different views out of the garden and the place is planned to be used as a B+B/vacation rental/wedding venue. Extra seating will come in handy. I imagine some arbors and other garden objet d's will be added over time. Filled is on the agenda.

I'm always torn between chaos and civilization. I can appreciate both.