Sunday, October 16, 2016

Preparing For Dung

I could so live a life of puttering. Days off when I can move slow and do whatever strikes my fancy are the best.





















I had two days in a row like that and one item on the puttering agenda was to start putting the roadside vegetable garden to bed for the winter.





















I may not have exactly harvested everything that was produced in the garden this year. I never do. I do plan to harvest the two rows of potatoes that are currently safely stored in the ground.





















I also wanted to get it ready for a fresh application of dung. I stopped bringing the poop home when I converted the manure piles to mystery melon patches.





















The dung supply dried up anyway when there was no one willing to take it. Most of it stayed in the fields. I imagine when the tubs that have been there all summer disappear, the fresh supply is likely to commence.





















It was a fine garden this year. It is also amazing that the feral hogs have not come in to glean the remnant produce. I shouldn't speak too soon. I still have taters to dig and a pig could do that no problem in my fluffy soil.





















The Ironweed and Joe Pye are in the seed bomb phase. I cut off numerous heads and scattered them in the middle to far end of the sunny utility meadow. While I was in there I collected Angelica seed heads and scattered those in the Tall Flower Meadow.





















Uncle Ernie blends in perfectly with the colors of autumn. He's in the camo phase.





















I walked three acres of gardens slowly over two days cutting tall flower stems flopped over paths and picking up sticks. I always pick up sticks. A warm breeze was blowing. Lots of leaves were falling. I wondered, will the dry make fall shorter? Then I looked up and around and thought nah. There are still so many leaves up there, plenty of them still green. This process is going to take a while.





















Above Hale Mana





















I end with a needed prayer.

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things pass away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
He who has God
Finds he lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.

Saint Teresa of Avila


3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Beautiful...

Unknown said...

Beautiful......hope some color remains Nov 3-10 at 3,100 ft. Probably not.....almost 1,800 feet lower than you.....better get my leaf blower out! Uncle Ernie looks good in camo.

C. C. said...

Garden-puttering days are the best. Gorgeous photos!