Sunday, March 26, 2017

Pilferage

I have a multi-pronged plant acquisition process for the garden. In my line of work there are often plants free for the taking. Sometimes a few starts can just fall out of the ground from a large patch while I am tending and weeding.

That happened last year with a few black liriope. It happened again this week when I saw they had survived the winter. More will look nice with the variegated sedge.





















The Celendine Poppy can actually become a pest in a proper garden. The first time I thinned them a few came home. Now I just toss them. In a few more years I will likely be weeding and tossing them here too.





















Why pay good money for plants when routine maintenance will generate rooted cuttings?  I got five yellow twig dogwood starts last week.





















It was not intentional, but I got some chionodoxa when I acquired snowdrops from Bulbarella. You never know what will come with something from Bulbarella's garden.





















I went over there today with pilfering on my mind. A trillium I do not have has been making babies.





















I have been quite pleased with the Trout Lilies that followed me home. Three of the four clumps I planted are growing and blooming robustly. One clump pretty much disappeared. Another clump is definitely reproducing.





















Might as well get two of the baby trilliums. They are smaller than the size of a quarter now. I hope they like it here.





















I needed a new rhododendron for one that died. I took one low growing rooted stem that was forked and made two plants out of it.





















'Arnold' #2 was a gift from Sister #2. I don't pilfer all the plants in the garden. It was planted by the chimney. I still want to add 'Jelena' nearby.

Along this same slope there are other plants that did fall out of the ground, some Pieris, Kalmia and Clethra. The east side of the chimney was tidied several years ago and I have been replanting with more desirable shrubberies.




















I thought 'Arnold' #2 was finished blooming when I planted it. I was wrong. The spot I chose has proven to be perfect for the sun angle this time of year. It literally glows in the sunshine.



























Last year I acquired some Bird's Foot Violets from a violet covered hillside next door to a garden I tend. All three have returned. I had one before. I think a varmint ate it. I keep trying different location in hopes one of them will be just right and they will start to self sow.




















This is but a short list of the pilferage that has gone in to the making of a wild cultivated garden. Many of the obscure native plants are rarely sold in nurseries. I don't mind making more populations of them or saving them from often times precarious conditions in more civilized gardens.

I can bring the wild things home and set them free.


3 comments:

beverly said...

Your trout lilies have a high blooming rate. When I used to walk in bottomland in Virginia woods, there would be sheets of the leaves, literally thousands, with only a few blooms. The leaves themselves are ornamental though too.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Beverly, I have noticed this about trout lilies too. As you say they do make a lovely ground cover. I wonder if they don't bloom because they don't get enough sun in some places??

Christopher C. NC said...

These trout lilies were found on a steep north facing slope and the bloom was so much I noticed it from the road driving by. They bloomed the first spring in my garden and this year the bloom is even better. Sadly a trackhoe was there last Friday at the top of the slope probably making a house pad. This slope was packed with the Trout Lily, Showy Orchis, trilliums, native astilbe, uvularia. It is an amazing intact piece of land in the middle of suburbia. I will have to pay attention to what happens and see about a plant rescue if necessary.