Monday, April 15, 2019

A Bloom Day Quickie

There was not much day left when I was near done with it. The best I could do for Bloom Day was dash out quick for a few pictures before it got dark. This will have to do. Rest assured there are plenty more flowers about in the wild cultivated gardens.

I have high hopes for the new discard rack columbine. It is rated hardy to zone 3. I am hoping it will self sow and wander about without any help from me.




















We got plenty daffodils. I had the best year ever for daffodils. Bulbhilla next door not so much. It got smacked bad by a 10 degree polar blast the first week of March. Most of mine survived. It is odd how things in such close proximity can have such different outcomes from the same event.




















Beware the Celandine Poppy. It is a wonderful spring bloom for the woodland garden. It also self sows rampantly. Deadheading to remove the seedpods or weeding of the seedlings will be required by year four with them in the garden.




















I planted the creeping phlox on the slope. I did not plant it on my driveway hump.




















Spring has arrived high on the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top despite the snow that I woke up to this morning. Green is spreading across the forest floor and starting to climb up the trees.


2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your columbines are pretty. Our columbines aren't blooming as yet. Several buds but no blooms. Happy GBBD.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa our resident columbine are no where close to the bloom stage of these new store bought ones.