Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Adjusting My Eye

I have been very used to big bodacious plants for quite some time.















This Angelica, with the Audrey-esque look is getting ready to bloom. It is most likely Angelica sylvestris. Even small, this is one plant that is hard to miss. But here in the forest there seems to be two sizes of plants, the large tall trees and the smaller herbaceous plants that grow beneath them or in the sunny holes between them. There is a significant lack of shrubs in the forest except in the Rhododendron or Mountain Laurel thickets.

This short carpet of green beneath the forest can hold an amazing number of plant species. They are interwoven and intermingled so closely it can be hard to tell them apart.

As my eyes adjust to this new light, the different plants have begun to show themselves more freely.
















One of my patches of Goodyera pubescens, the Rattlesnake Plantain, which is actually an orchid.
















Origanum vulgare running wild.



















One of many species of Goldenrod, probably Solidago nemoralis. They are the markers of the end of summer and have just begun to bloom.

















Formerly Eupatorium rugosum, the Joe Pye Weed genus, now it is Ageratina altissima, White Snakeroot.
















A patch of Hepatica, Anemone acutiloba. This plant might be all of three inches tall. It hides beneath every thing else. The patch is huge though, possibly bigger than my slow growing house.

Of course there is much more. I have seen plenty of Bloodroot, a bunch of Trilliums on their way out, Jack in the Pulpit in all stages, some relatives of Ginseng, Wild Ginger and too many Violets to count.
















Back out front I continue to garden in the sun. The little bits of progress I make here help add to the little bits of progress I make on the cabin. Today the electricity man came by to have a look. He says I may have my temporary pole hooked up by Friday. Now we won't have to drive lumber back and forth to cut it, just as we are coming in on the finish of the batter board system.

I bought new plants. I was feeling a little depressed. A Picea abies 'Nidiformis', three Catananche caerulea, Blue Cupids Dart and four Chasmanthium latifolium, Northern Sea Oats.

The Bird's Nest Spruce went at the back at the widest part of the semi circle of ground on the other side of the drainage gully. I need to Roundup the rest of that space now that it has greened back up from my initial hard core chop. There are a couple of Iron weed, Veronia noveboracensis in there that I want to save.

The Cupids Dart went in the bed along the drive in front of my baby Mugo Pine and between the Dwarf Crested Iris and the Daylilies.
















This is the cut on the right hand side of my drive. I have been pondering what to put here. I wanted a low maintenance, solid sweep of one species of plant that would help hold this hill. I have plenty of land. There is no need to get all busy with landscaping in such a spot.
















That is where the Northern Sea Oats are going. I plan to collect all the seeds this fall from the plants I bought and work on introducing them across the face of this slope. I read they are some what invasive and have a tough root system. Good!





















And if it doesn't work out, well there are ways of getting rid of things up here that I have been playing with non stop since last Friday when my nephews were here and we had a Big Bonfire and S'mores.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at the diversity of wildflowers (as a generic term) in your woods. You are truly blessed. Even more amazed at your ability to ID them after living in such a different environment!
The sea oats are a great choice for your pictured site; they are officially recommended here in Md. for slope stabilization near the water and take shade.

Ain't construction wonderful??!! (not). Our rebuilt house following a fire in 1994, ensuing lawsuit, critical area (waterfront) permits, fired carpentry crew, Hurricane Isabel, etc., etc., is just now getting its hardwood floors, put down by yours truly and spouse. Requires almost as much patience as being a gardener...take heart.

Christopher C. NC said...

Bev, that is nice to hear about the Sea Oats. Once I get them established an annual haircut may be all that is neaded.

The forest here came with a large plant diversity of it's own. The resident gardeners have been adding to it for the last thirty years. On hikes the standard refrain is "Oh, we have that."

Building the little cabin is just going to be a primer for building the small house three to five years down the road. My construction could last as long as your seems to have. 1994? Yikes.

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Christopher,
It is awe inspiring that you can easily identify so many of the native plant species that you have growing in your new slice of paradise after living so long in such a different botanical environment.

Shazam !
Some lucky horticultural endeavor is going to win the grand pooba prize when they hire you on as one of their employees.

In the mean time, the work progress on your property seems to be going at a pretty good clip.
Glad to hear you'll have 'electric juice' by the end of the week.

congrats on all the progress .
michelle

chuck b. said...

It looks like you could collect all the cuttings and seeds you need to build a lovely garden by just going for a walk.

If I wanted to collect this range of plant material, I would have to drive for hours and get permits, or steal.

I fully relate to the episode of horticulture retail therapy. When I'm depressed, a trip to the nursery can be just the thing.

Christopher C. NC said...

There are still some grey areas in my plant ID abilities Michelle. There is also an amazing amount of knowledge stored in the recesses of my brain that can resurface when needed. I have help too from the resident gardeners and books. The job thing is looming. Gonna have ta get one.

If all goes well we may be pouring the concrete for the footings on Tuesday. This is the hardest part I think. My contractor upgraded them to withstand earthquakes and hurricane force winds. After we get the floor on it is just regular house building, Yea right!

Chuck I probably could just propagate and re-arrange what is here in a more asthetically pleasing manner and have a fine garden. I have only scratched the surface of what is here on the blog. But we all know what happens when a gardener sees a new and interesting plant. There is room for some of that.

Speaking of stealing, in my family we call it plant liberation, there is a place with some severely over grouded small native azaleas that could use a little thinning.