Saturday, September 13, 2008

Anybody Want One ?

A little baby bear,



Not.

This Chow Chow dog was sitting at the end of the drive this morning when I went out to the mailbox. It growled at me and just barely backed off enough for me to get by.

The dog was still there this evening when I came back from adding more house wrap and installing another window in the cozy cabin. It had sat there all day and watched every car that went by, looking intently at each one.

I am not a dog person and the thing would not let me get too close and growled at me. I had to give him some food and water anyway. My closest neighbors are not that close and if this dog had wandered off and got lost, why hasn't it kept wandering? Why is this dog sitting at the end of my driveway watching every car that goes by?



I called the humane society after I fed him and left a message. I am not a dog person. Of course they were closed and have a half day schedule on Sunday. It may be Monday til they come to catch him, if he is still here and alive.

This Chow Chow dog is sitting at the end of my drive watching every car that goes by with intense scrutiny. The motorcycles scare him. It is pretty much a blind curve on the road out there and he looks way too much like a bear to be out there like a sitting duck.

I hope he is just lost and not deliberately abandoned, but sometimes you have to wonder what is wrong with some people? This is not a place where a dog should end up lost.

Anybody want a dog? Leave me a comment with a number to call. You have til Monday morning most likely.


Sunday Morning.

After breakfast, Chow Fun has resumed watching the cars go by.



The growl has turned to a bark and I can get a little closer. The Humane Society just called. They can come tomorrow. I am not a dog person. Anybody want some Chow Fun?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That just breaks my heart, Christopher. You were kind to feed him and call the Humane Society. I hope they will find him a good home. Shame on whoever dumped him there.

Anonymous said...

Sad situation Christopher. Glad you gave it water & fed it. Sounds as though someone dropped him off. He does look like a bear.
BTW have you seen a bear around your cabin?

Unknown said...

Awww... poor little guy. It breaks my heart thinking about him sitting there watching the cars go by, maybe thinking that whoever dumped him will come back to pick him up? :( It was very nice of you to feed and water him, especially since he was growly.

He really does look like a little bear.

Anonymous said...

I really did believe it was a baby bear until I scrolled down. I am not a dog person either, but still have a heart. We get stray dogs here too that are either dropped off but usually wandered away from their homes. Let us hope that is what happened, however unlikely. He must be so scared to growl at you, or maybe that is why he was abandoned. Those are the cutest puppies in the world, then they grow up to not be gentle sometimes.

Christopher C. NC said...

It is sad, poor thing. I don't dislike dogs, I just prefer the less intense care and attention needed for a cat.

Lola I haven't seen any bears or signs of them up here yet. One neighbor over the line in the Kingdom of Madison says there are not any up here. Twenty five miles away in Hotsprings I heard first hand reports of bears in the vegetable garden and bird feeders. I guess it is good there are no bears up here.

Anonymous said...

How sad - he looks unkempt. And to have him looking intently at every car - you have to imagine he's looking for his people. Breaks my heart. I hope the Humane Society can find him a loving home.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher! He really does look like a cuddly baby bear. Poor thing must be so scared. I think he most likely wandered too far from home and is lost. Does Ferguson's have a lost and found board that someone might post on if they lost a dog, or could you put a post on it? Good luck.

Christopher C. NC said...

I'll call Fergusons in the morning Siria.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

That poor little bear, err dog. You can see how frightened it is. He/she needs a good home. I bet someone dropped him off. Your place looks so inviting with that garden near the road. They probably thought you would make a good home for this dog.

Anonymous said...

Good for the lack of bears around your cabin Christopher. They were around Blairsville, Ga. last yr. I think that's below you. I had twin kitties left at my place. They belong somewhere as they had flea collars on. Their people need to be looking for them or if they aren't claimed to the Humane Society they go. I really don't need an animal to trip me up & my son can't be around them. Transplant patient, you know.

chuck b. said...

Chows are mean dogs, and only bond with ONE human master. Everyone else, watch out. Not a good family dog...

They have blue tongues, however.

lisa said...

Awww...poor chow fun! If he's watching the cars intently I'd guess he was abandoned. People do that out in the country all the time, so he won't likely be the last lonesome wanderer you see. At least he didn't bite you...chows have a tendancy to do that. (At least all the ones I have ever known.)