Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Snow And Melt

The diagnosis was correct. There was cold wet snow on the ground and cold wet snow falling from the sky when I woke up this morning. I was filled with dread. I like the full experience of voting. I vote on election day at my Fines Creek Volunteer Fire Department precinct. It is a chance to mingle with the real locals hiding in the folds of these mountains. The thought of driving on winding, snow covered roads down the mountain in my light pick up truck scares the crap out of me. Would I have to risk death to vote?




















I sent Miss Collar out on a reconnaissance mission. The report was good. It was only 32 degrees and the snow was not sticking to the driveway or the scenic byway. The roads were clear. I even thought I might go to work after voting like I had planned. I have learned from experience that if it is snowing up here that tells me nothing about what is happening down there.

The scary part about that is I don't really know if I will be able to get back home once I come down the mountain.




















But it was cold and wet and raining and icky down there so worked was cancelled and I came back home. By then a full on melt was in progress. The morning snow disappeared quickly.

These wet heavy snows have been taking a toll on any plant still covered in leaves. It makes me wonder how much trouble I am going to have with my plans for evergreen screening up here in the snow belt. The clumping bamboo, while not broken, has been laid low. I'm still waiting for more height from this bamboo. Will taller thicker canes stand up better?




















This is a first for the Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light'. It has never been knee capped like this before. The difference is that it has normally been deep frozen and well on its way to dry before the first big heavy snow arrived. In its still green stage it collects more snow. That first picture is of the grass burdened with snow.




















There is more snow in the diagnosis for tonight, another 2 to 3 inches with temperatures near 30, perfect for heavy wet snow. I am going to have to wait for a dry spell before I cut out the crushed. Some of it could still stand back up.




















I saw one prediction for above average snowfall this winter. It's all melted now so we are ready for more. Not. I still have a number of gardens that need to be put down for the winter.




















Gardy really isn't willing to risk his life driving down a winding, snow covered mountain road in a light pick up truck to tend to someone's garden and not know if he will be able to get back home in the evening. Conditions have to be just right to leave the mountain in the winter.

4 comments:

Lola said...

Oh my, don't like early snow. Sure sounds like it may be a long cold winter. I know about the difference of the height for weather. I use to tie a large rope spirally around my arborvitae to keep the snow from spreading it beyond recovery. It worked. Last I saw they had been cut down. Sad. Our place had been let go. Broke my heart even tho we didn't have it anymore.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I think I will have to see how things go over a couple of winters as the baby evergreens grow. I don't want to have to resort to plant bondage if I can avoid it. Yes we seem to be off to a heavy snow winter. It has stated snowing again.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I would not want to drive up or down your mountain road in the snow, not unless I had a four-wheel vehicle after the salt trucks or plows go through.
Hope today's snow isn't too heavy for you all, we are getting much needed rain.

Dianne said...

I hate to tell you that I am glad you are getting the snow and I am not. Just call me relieved. Still not ready.