Sunday, September 24, 2017

Walking In Asters

I took the whole weekend off finally and spent six or seven hours in the last two days picking up sticks in the ridge top garden next door. Irma left a big mess. That was in addition to the two or so hours of picking up sticks just from slow walks through the garden coming and going.

It's almost cleaned up now.





















I started late, moved slow and had naps when I was done. I also just ambled through the gardens doing nothing but looking at the beginning and end of the day.

The asters are here.





















There are many species and many variations within what appear to be a species. I suspect there is a good deal of interbreeding going on.

The Blue Wood Aster





















The Frost Aster





















I have goldenrod too and about five species of that.





















Asters line the paths every where you go.





















The asters block the paths in plenty of places too. I'm getting ruthless these days in the face of abundance.





















The Aromatic Aster





















More Blue Wood Aster. This is the most abundant species.





















One of the Goldenrods I like. Solidago canadensis is the problem Goldenrod.





















This looks like a white Blue Wood Aster. I have also seen a white New England Aster, the problem aster of the meadow.





















Asters, grass and Goldenrod.





















The Tatarian Aster.





















The Calico Aster.





















The New England Aster. It is more purple than it looks in this picture. How many asters was that? I even left out a few.


1 comment:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Amazing all the different asters that you have. I have only three different asters. Two are store bought and one is a wildling that just plopped itself in a flower bed. I have always wondered what it is. I have tried to rip it out a time or two but it is like one of those guests you can be rude to and they still don't take the hint and leave. It pops up year after year. I have finally made friends with it but I still don't know it's name.