Saturday, February 10, 2018

Waiting For The Flood

I've been out walking. What else do I need to do?




















The longer I wait, the less there is to do. I've been out chopping, and dropping, but no reason not to let winter do as much of that as it can do.

There may be a flood incoming. The wind is definitely blowing. I can wait a couple more days and take advantage of the natural chop. There is no hurry. I have at least three weeks and I am already close to half way through the three acres that need dropping.




















I did spend a good hour pulling blackberries from the slope below the roadside vegetable garden. Some things need to be pulled. The more root and runner I get the better.




















The main editing season runs February to mid-May as the vegetation begins to stir. By June the meadows are pretty much let be, to be what they will be. Then the Great Lawn and path mowing season begins.




















And while I'm out walking, doing the main work of a summer garden, the Under Garden of winter shines through.




















'Jelena' is growing nicely.


























'Arnold' is about to pop. The Witch Hazels are a few weeks later this year. This will be the first time I have seen them sync up and all bloom at once. We have had a much appreciated real winter this year.


























I stayed home for the flood. Instead it has been a warm, windy and mostly dry day.




















I've been out walking. When it rains, I'll find something else that I may be forced to do. Maybe.


3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I like all the moss on your rocks.

Sallysmom said...

I am giving up on my Arnold. A very, very few buds is on it. We had plenty of rain in summer & fall. We usually are very dry. Just not worth it anymore I think.

Christopher C. NC said...

Moss happens Lisa.

Sallysmom the only thing I can suggest is to check 'Arnold's' graft line and make sure the root stock has not grown to become the main plant. Most of mine send up vigorous sprouts from the root stock and I cut them all off at least once a year.