Saturday, November 10, 2018

The First Day Of Winter

I still see remnants of a lingering fall in my travels.




















High on the low spot winter has arrived. The last tree in the forest remains.
While just a bit to the left,


















The native Witch Hazel, Hamamelis virginiana, is having a once in a decade super bloom.


















Never before has it rivaled the bloom of the Witch Hazel hybrids I've planted. Even the petals look longer this year. It is the last bloom in the forest.




















Winter rolled in last night. Today the air has changed. The same fog of the Winter of Monet has returned.




















It wasn't just the cataracts in my eyes, the winter air is indeed made of a different substance. It comes from a different place in the world.




















The Witches respond.




















Once in a decade they can have an actual see from a distance super bloom.




















With the first little bit of winter that sticks.


2 comments:

Sallysmom said...

I told my witch hazel that if it didn't start growing, I was going to pull it up. Despite the extreme drought this summer, it grew some & even has a little fall color.

Christopher C. NC said...

I have not had to threaten my witch hazels. I did however give up on the 'Golden Crane' hydrangea and moved it to warmer location in a client's garden.