Saturday, August 29, 2020

A Little Bit Of Feral

It takes a certain amount of discipline to let go, to let nature be in charge of a lot of the decision making in a garden. That is not what I was trained for in horticulture, nor what I do in most of the gardens I tend. Total control is the preference for most.














It is rarely completely achieved. Nature has a mind of its own. Even in my roadside vegetable garden, a little bit of feral has remained.














I like it that way. Out of long ago planted and long time gone verbena on a stick, a surprise bumper crop of purple appeared in the vegetable garden this year. The parsnips growing with it are close to equally feral.














I have had to assert some authority with the Ironweed. Its height makes it a sun hog and shadow maker, not good for the production of fine produce. Trying to remove it gave me a good understanding of the origins of its common name. It is persistent in returning from bits of remaining root and its beauty prevents a push for total elimination.














I consider myself lucky to come home to a place, to land where I can let go, a place where nature is merely nudged in the direction of flowers. The illusion of being in control is allowed to be shown for the falsehood it is. The reward is a continuous and ever changing display of the beauty and bounty of the miracle of this planet called earth.


2 comments:

RobinL said...

Perhaps I’ll begin to use the term feral to describe the untamed bits of my garden. But then again, it may be the lurking poison ivy that holds me back! Besides, this is the suburbs. Feral isn’t generally acceptable here.

Christopher C. NC said...

I hear you Robin. In the suburbs, letting self sowers like nigella, cleome or tall phlox get a little rambunctious may have to suffice as feral.