Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Home Improvement

The Crooked Shed got some upgrades last weekend, more shelves, new interior tap lights, a shuffling of stuff and a snazzy front door ornament made from bits laying about.














I've been playing home owner for the last few weeks. After ten years and half a mortgage paid off I suppose it's time. The lower landing on the service entrance stairs got taller legs to make it more level. The whole thing is still a touch discombobulated. It was built that way. At least it is better now.














Two fixed recessed loft windows were un-recessed. Now I need a good hard rain with a southern blow to test them out. After I am satisfied with that the interior trim work may happen. All these little fixes keep me occupied and away from painting the whole house. It is in need.














8:09 am 8/09/2020. 
I felt my hand vibrating on the mouse. It was different than usual. What is this strange new thing? Then I realized it was the desk under the mouse not my hand that was vibrating. Earthquake! Then the sensation of riding a wave swept through the cabin, that gentle lift and lowering back down. The roof creaked once. My hand vibrated on the mouse and it was over.














I have felt more earthquakes in this cabin in NC in ten years, I think four now, than all twenty years spent living on Maui next door to an active volcano. That doesn't seem right. These dry stack stone walls some experts feared were going to fall down are still standing. We never considered earthquakes as an option.

My father and I built a very fine cabin indeed.


3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

An earth quake is an odd feeling. Are you painting your house the same color?

Christopher C. NC said...

Similar. I want a slightly darker grey. Better to hide the moss and mildew and blend with the filth on the metal roof. I want to change the window and roof trim from the Crafted White, actually a pale yellow to unknown. The pale yellow has no pizazz. Will keep my red cement columns and beams.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Sounds like a good plan.