Friday, July 13, 2007

Woodscaping

I attended a day long seminar called Woodscaping at the Bent Creek Experimental Forest where I got an overview of managing your forest lands. It covered a wide range of informative and interesting topics, mostly in a classroom setting so there were not a lot of photo ops. The most interesting was a talk on growing the native medicinal herbs which are in such high demand they are threatened in the wild. I have several species of indigenous populations of these herbs on this land.















What I really learned about Forestry was that it is a lot like Landscape Design. The answer is always, "Well, that Depends."

















Another new experience for me. No it wasn't a meteor, not a bolt of lightning, of which there has been plenty, nor spontaneous human combustion.

















This is all that is left of the small Hemlocks that I cut down, plus plenty of other remnant debris from the grading and clearing and extraneous regular tree debris that I gathered up with the Hemlocks. You can have fires way out here in the country. I will no longer have to have a mountainous pile of rubbish near my driveway, just a fire pit. Another form of Woodscaping.

















I left out my day trip to Highlands NC on Wednesday. I am noticing some cultural fascination with hanging baskets in this part of the world. I'll try to get to that, but company is a comin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha--I never thought of hanging baskets as being a cultural thing, but you are right that they are popular in the southeast. I'm guessing . . . hot-pink petunias! We used to go to Highlands to get away from the summer heat when I lived in upstate South Carolina.

chuck b. said...

I love hanging baskets, but they are a lot of work.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that fire pit sounds scary in this dry season! Beats my endless brush/log trips to the recycling center in the Md. heat, though.

Hanging baskets, hmmmm....that's how I ended up having a greenhouse, to winter over all that stuff I had in my hanging baskets, and then in pots, and bigger pots, and. Thought about a greenhouse, or a wintering-over house? Of course, a house to live in comes first. (:

chuck b. said...

PS I hope you will be telling us more about native medicinal herbs in the coming years.

I understand a good culinary ginger is native to the southeast but was lost to overharvesting.