Sunday, May 17, 2009

All Of A Sudden

The purple and yellow iris are everywhere.



A mental map of this garden is still forming, so I am surprised by where some of them are. I knew there were a lot of them. This year of good bloom may just be revealing more.



The hosta are also everywhere. Hosta, hosta and more hosta. Divide and conquer, the slow patient creation of the one acre ridge top garden.



Yesterday's evening stroll was a mad dash with threatening skies, rumbling thunder and low light.



If only the other iris were as prolific and care free as the yellow and purple iris, laments Bulbarella. She needs more. The yellow and purple iris is nice she says, just not her favorite.



Was that clump of iris there last year? Maybe it was buried in a tangle of Clematis virginiana. I keep suggesting that when you are already working with limited sun it is best not to let your desired plants get buried too heavily in the wild things. But then I am a several decades younger and have more experience on the maintenance end of things. Some people focus more on the acquisition end of the gardening life.



The rains came and stayed for twenty four hours. The days high temperature was pretty low, all of 49 degrees.



Tomorrow's low will be dangerously close to freezing, a diagnosis of 35 for down there. We're up here. It wouldn't. It couldn't possibly do such a foul thing this late in the year. Two mornings of nail biting lay ahead.

9 comments:

lola said...

Gorgeous, fantastic, utterly out of this world for beauty.
Keep the pics coming.

Frances said...

Hi Christopher, it had better not!!! We got down into the low 40s last night, even that is worrisome to fully leafed out everythings and developing tomatoes, not to mention orchids. I believe the yellow and purple iris has been identified. Loreley, or Lorelei, from 1909. See if that is it. Congrats on so many hostas too and the azaleas are fabulous.
Frances

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola, I blog there for I am.

Frances, You are right. Loreley it is. Our low this am was 33.9 and tomorrow it is calling for patchy frost in the mountain valleys. Often if the winds are still we can be warmer up top. Let there be still winds.

Kim said...

The iris are spectacular, even the purple and yellow. And it better not freeze. We got a warning for areas just north of us, so I'll be bringing the "house" plants in tonight. I hope you and your plants stay warm enough and no freezes hit your mountain garden.

Annie in Austin said...

In addition to the great photos I love your subtlety, Christopher - maintenance vs acquisition has always been my downfall, too. Perhaps Bulbarella's motto is also "get them in the ground fast- you can always fix them later..."? The hostas with what looks like Solomon's Seal are wonderful.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Christopher C. NC said...

Kim, I have my fingers crossed and have said a little prayer.

Hi Annie. Subtlety insures that I will continue to be fed. My blog is well read by the entire family. It has actually been tempting my mother onto the computer for the first time. Yes that is a variegated Solomon's Seal with the Hosta.

Siria said...

Oh Christopher...do you mean to tell me that Bulbarella doesn't read your blog? I thought it was a wonderful way for her to keep in touch with what was happening on her mountaintop while she was away for part of the year. I would think once she starts reading, she won't be able to stop! :)

Beautiful photographs!

flowers said...

Great pictures Christopher
where did U take them- at Your garden

Christopher C. NC said...

Hi Flowers, yes all these were taken at my borrowed garden next door to my own baby garden in the making.