Monday, May 9, 2011

In My Travels

Around the mountain metropolis of Waynesville, North Carolina I have been getting into more and more of the folds of the surrounding mountains.



I see gardens every where I go. That's what I do. This Weeping Larch, Larix decidua 'Pendula' is of interest.



Some of this Rodgersia fell out of the ground last fall and moved in at the garden to be. I saw it had come up. I need to see if it got frost bit because the one in the wild cultivated garden did.



There might be some iris like this in the garden to be. I found some that had been tossed into the forest from a thinning. It lived and I brought it home. I wait for it to bloom.



The wild cultivated garden has rhododendrons like this.



At 4000 feet up they are one climate zone away from the valleys below. They will be peaking in another week or even better in two weeks.



The hundreds of iris have begun to bloom high on the low spot. It can be difficult, actually impossible to orchestrate a garden for a particular date. You have to go with your best guess based on averages.



No matter. The wild cultivated garden always has something blooming once it gets going.



And it is always enchanting no matter the season.

2 comments:

Lola said...

I'm so glad that your travels have allowed you to see some of the most beautiful blooms. Therefore you may let us see it also. That is wonderful.
The first pic is so familiar & I really like the iris that was tossed. I'm glad you rescued it. I feel the mtns have a wide array of anything you wish to view. They seem to embed themselves into your soul, memory & heart.
Have you had the chance to see the iris that grows close to a stream? It's very pretty.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You are right it is beautiful. You find all sorts of inspiration out there in them thar hills.