Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Lush Begins

Many eyes would see a wild field of green quickly growing taller and in need of good mowing. Many eyes do not see. The Lush is returning and it is filled with botanical treasures. It seems the number of Jack-in-the Pulpits have doubled since I have been actively gardening. It is a treasure I do not plant or move about. I let them be.



























Both pieces of the Darmera peltata I moved into the garden from the tiny creek have returned. The giant round leaves of this plant will stand out in the Lush.



























Edit and they will come. I keep finding more and more trilliums in the garden becoming. The most plentiful species is the Nodding Trillium, Trillium cernuum. I have added five new species.





















In gardens I tend, it tends to be a weed. In my garden the Golden Ragwort, Packera aurea, is an abundant and welcome wildflower. I let it be.





















The cold hardy camellia experiment has concluded. It was deemed a failure despite what the plant tags had to say about cold hardiness. There is only the remotest chance of life left in two out of the six camellias. To compensate for the loss I bought a Stewartia pseudocamellia, a distant relation. This is a small tree with white camellia like blooms in early summer. It's rated to zone 5. I'm labeled a zone 6. A used chamaecyparis got evicted to give the Stewartia a prime location with ample sun.



























What's this? I do believe I have found another Green Fringed Orchid, Platanthera lacera. It's amazing what has been hiding under all that damn clematis.



























It's alive.The freeze dried bamboo is ever so slowly leafing back out. That makes me very happy. This year's new culms have begun to sprout. In another month we may not remember it turned a crispy brown at -8 degrees.



























Bam! The Yellow Lady Slipper Orchid is in bloom. Now it needs to cool down a notch so the blooms last longer





















From the barren time to the Lush in just a few short weeks. The transformation is amazing and long anticipated.

5 comments:

Danna said...

I am in awe of the changes...I started following your blog back in late January. Your Haywood location was the draw (less than 5 miles as the crow flies from my mine.) Seeing the snowy blizzards give way to the Lush is breathtaking! Florida can't compare.

Lola said...

I agree, Fl can't compare. I keep trying to have plants that survive easily where I'm from.

Sallysmom said...

My bamboo has been very, very slow to green up this year. It finally is a little. We talked to the Bamboo plantation guy and he said don't give it extra water until it greens up all the way but that we should go ahead and remulch it. We did and I guess that helped.

Christopher C. NC said...

Florida was a fine place to grow up. NC is more better for a gardener.

Sallysmom the bamboo turning green again sure isn't like the trees leafing out. It's slow as molasses. Even the new shoots seem unusually slow this year.

Aaron said...

I'm at the intersection of zones 6 and 7 in Tennessee and several of my young camellias died this past winter.

One established plant is barely hanging on, while two other established plants are doing better in *very* protected sites.

I think Camellias are very hard to grow (or at least to grow well) north of zone 7b, no matter what the plant tags say.