Tuesday, June 5, 2018

My New Eyeballs

The young woman who sliced open my eyeballs and gave me new ones and her boyfriend came to see the wild cultivated gardens on Sunday. I told her I was a long time peasant gardener for the well to do living in the Winter of Monet.



















She had asked me what was my favorite time in the garden. I told her at dusk, in the evening, when the garden had entered the shadow of the mountain, particularly on sunny days. I can see better in that light. What I was searching to say was the In Between Time, but that is late night blog talk, not every day talk.

While visiting the gardens, she explained to me that there is an actual color shift to the blue spectrum during the in between time. What I see in the garden is all the subtle shades of green separate into their own colors. All the textures stand out and individual plant species show themselves in the Lush. Waves, drifts. specimens, trees and shrubs all show themselves as individuals in the garden. The garden vibrates in the blue spectrum

I wander in that.




















The monsoon has finally passed. Monday morning I drove to work under amazing clear blue skies. When I crest the hill leaving Fines Creek I can see twenty miles to the far mountain that is my general destination.

Monday morning the air was so clean I could see the texture of the forest on a far off mountain. Every ridge line and fold of the mountains was totally clear. I felt like crying it was so beautiful. On the way home today I was reading road signs for fun. I couldn't do that at all before.

I still need reading glasses, but now they actually work. I'm in process of learning how to use my new eyes. Every thing is different. My old seeing strategies no longer apply. I've been fiddling with caps and sunglasses to keep the sun off my eyes, but even that is way better now.

It is time to pick up a book and give that a try. I love my new eyes.


6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I love that color shift. I have always known it was there but didn't know how to explain it. I am so happy for you that you can see so well again.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa it is a huge improvement for me. I can see weeds again. Very important in my line of work.

Sallysmom said...

Glad to hear you are adjusting well. Now you will be able to see all the wonderful colors of the garden all year long.

Christopher C. NC said...

It was pretty no fuss for me Sallysmom, thank goodness. I knew I couldn't live blind like that and had to get it done ASAP.

Jan O said...

So glad to hear that things are going so well. This is the best news.

Christopher C. NC said...

Thanks Jan.