Friday, December 14, 2018

Patience

The great 'hope it bends' snow storm of 2018 was over last Monday afternoon.




















The melt since then has been sub-optimal, not southern at all. The temperatures have been mostly above freezing, but there has been no sun shiny solar assist. It has been a very slow melt under cloudy skies.




















No sun, fine. The coming rain will make it melt. No, the rain has been a mist. There has at least been enough melt for most of my baby evergreen trees to begin to stand back up. It is quite amazing they can take all that cold soggy weight and bend down to the ground like that without snapping in half.




















But there is nothing a working gardener can do in conditions like this. It's just not wise to be trying to fluff gardens up when the plants are still half encased in heavy wet snow and ice. It has to wait and preferably until things are dry. Some sun would sure help.




















I have had the entire week off waiting for the snow to melt. Now I think I will need to revisit the gardens I had scratched off the list for the season. The damage I am seeing here is minimal. The extra foot of slop in the gardens I tend is bound to kick it up a notch.




















The end of season cabbage that followed me home reappeared this morning. They are looking quite fine after a bout of Siberolina and the 'hope it bends' snow.


No comments: