Tuesday, June 27, 2023

The Flowers Draw Me In

I can see them from a distance. A lush green meadow sprinkled with ever more flowers as summertime begins. White and yellow are the dominant colors for now.














The Persicaria polymorpha has reached blooming height. The Stewartia pseudocamellia is having its most flowers ever. Many springs the latent flower buds get frozen. I should go have a closer look. All the flowers don't show up as well in pictures taken from afar.














Iris ensata, the Japanese iris is the last iris to bloom. That makes it a more reliable bloomer in a high elevation garden.














Clyde Redmond, the Louisiana iris hangs in there. I think they need more elbow room to be happy than I have been able to give them. Still, the Louisiana iris are the second best iris blooming in my garden. Clyde liked Maui better.














Out in the sunshine of the roadside vegetable garden, the feral parsnips are in bloom.














Parsnips will self-sow in abundance if you let them. So will a lot of other weed flowers. The vegetable garden is on light duty this year, so all the flowers can be let be.














The sky blue of chicory heralds a change of the seasons and adds to a growing floral abundance.














I am hoping the Baptisia alba will set seed. I want to plant more.














Hydrangea arborescens 'Haas Halo' gets ready to bloom high on the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top. The flowers draw me outside.


5 comments:

Barbara H. said...

A wonderful tour - as everything grows and blooms and increases over the years, I am often amazed at how nature has tweaked what I thought I was doing and made it better. I'm glad your plantings are doing well and making you happy, too.

beverly said...

I got a Haas Halo last year and it is BIG. Wonderful plant. Your garden seems to be trying extra hard to please you these days - good news.

Christopher C. NC said...

I have thought the garden is having some nice showings to help make up for some of the losses of late. The Christmas polar blast did damage and a couple weeks ago the utility company came in and sprayed the blueberry shrubs and then some in the sunny utility meadow between the houses before I stopped them from going further.

Barbara H. said...

That was very rude of them! Glad you were able to stop them but oh, how truly awful.

Christopher C. NC said...

Barbara I was certainly not pleased with the spraying since we have been a no spray zone for decades. He says he will come by to look and buy me some new blueberry plants. I just want to make sure we are a no spray on the maps.