Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Unmowed

The maintenance gardener has been very forgiving of wild meadows set completely free to compete. So far. It helps that nature puts on an excellent show with or without a mowed element of order. Baby steps back into the garden have begun as my breathing returns.














The matching rose on the other side of the driveway suffered major winter kill from the Christmas time polar freeze. The Fargesia clumping bamboo, cotoneaster and camellia all suffered major die back as well. Life on the mountain top is tested.

And it is tested by abundance and competition for survival, in exuberant chaos.














I planted this seed grown Baptisia alba about five years ago. This is the biggest it has ever gotten, the showiest bloom I have yet to see. 

Unmowed.


4 comments:

Barbara H. said...

Happy to see this post. Nature reminds us so quickly that she is fast on her feet.

Uwharrie Mountain Native Plant Farm said...

Maybe you'll discover new treasures in the unmown. I hope you continue to improve.
- Hugh

Christopher C. NC said...

Cheryl my Japanese beautyberry was killed to the ground at least. No big loss. The fruit set has always been poor because it doesn't like the cool growing season up here.

Barbara, nature is very fast to want to fill any empty space.

Thanks Hugh. I'm always looking for new things in the meadows because of all the seeds of different flowers I toss into.

beverly said...

Lovely baptisia alba. I have a new one (from Woodlanders though, not seed) and I love the gray stems. Looking forward to it getting bigger! So glad to hear your breathing has improved. Here's to more improvement.