Thursday, November 29, 2007

Getting There

Four views of a rising rock wall



















After five days of work














Not necessarily eight hour days mind you














It is wise to pace yourself if you want to actually see the wall come to fruition or try and make the project last all winter.














This first wall is only phase one of the basement patio. A second wall, I'm thinking a CMU (Concrete Masonry Unit) with stucco coating will be built under the cabin to match my columns and form the level terrace for the patio floor.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christoper: I think your wall looks great! The walls on my post and thus, my land, are over a hundred years old and probably closer to two hundred. They are just freestanding and I do find some fallen rocks now and then probably from the freezing and thawing of the ground. We usually have a frost line of 18" to 24" but that will vary from year to year. I love your wall and know what hard work it is as I have re-built some of mine. I don't have much talent in that department but I know that you get better as you get more experience as with any task!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful. Wow.

Christopher C. NC said...

Thanks for the encouragement Layanee and Pam. I hope I am building it to last a hundred years.

lisa said...

Looks great! Patience is paying off, for sure. Nice and sunny there, I see....hope you don't get slammed by any of the snow coming our way tomorrow. (Of course for you, more likely rain, but you never know.) Precip of some sort should reach you eventually I bet, looks to be a large system.