Saturday, March 1, 2008

Waiting

So much seems like it is on hold. While I wait for the snow to melt and the soil to dry so I can go back to work on the wall, I am reminded that I wait for so much.

I wait for the Daffodils/Narcissus to bloom. Already since the last census of 245 I have discovered new ones emerging. There is a whole other collection down in the wildflower meadow on the way to my cabin that is just now making its appearance. I do not doubt that an eventual count will easily exceed 300 clumps of bulbs.














I wait for the soil to dry around the cabin because it is a slippery and dangerous muddy slope when it is totally wet. I watch my first wall to see how it manages this onslaught of water. It hasn't budged yet. It is amazing how much water the ground absorbs and how fast actually, that it drains away. Still, it only moves as a collection of drips.















I wait to see the coyotes. I hear them quite often. Now I know they patrol the grounds. There were tracks today that went from my cabin all around the ridge top garden and around the resident gardeners house before heading off under the barb wire fence. They even used the paths for the most part. How conscientious and civilized of them.















Slowly the snow fades away. The Daffodils/Narcissus seem to enjoy this ample frigid moisture. More and more keep appearing. I think someone may have an addiction.














There is a life out there some where for me.














I wait, building a nest first called home.

6 comments:

chuck b. said...

Coyotes, eh? Future cats will have to be indoor cats--at least at night.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You are right about the 'wait.' All good things are worth waiting for.

I am not surprised that coyotes use your paths. I have a big dog and people that see her romp in the garden are surprised that she mostly stays out of the flower beds. Maybe it is the path of least resistance but I like to think she knows that I treasure what is in the flower beds. Usually only a major distraction will take her through places I really don't want her. Squirrels, rabbits etc are major distractions.

Anonymous said...

How nice that someone did indeed have such an obsession on that land at some point - what a treat it is, to watch what emerges as everything thaws!

I had coyotes that roamed my place in Michigan - and I remember learning to discern their sounds when they were communicating with each other, versus when they were on a hunt or actually captured something. That sound when they had captured something was always an eerie one to me, but I'm sure it was of great benefit to them.

Thre hundred clumps of daffodils! That's great. You'll have such a beautiful spring.

Carol Michel said...

I'm looking forward to seeing all the daffodils in bloom. 300 seems like a lot, but perhaps for someone with an addiction to them, it might just be a good start.

Christopher C. NC said...

Yep Coyotes, another reason why bringing two geriatric outdoor cats with me was not a good idea. I saw my first Turkey up here today. It was a big sucker. I have seen plenty down in the valley.

I think the coyotes use the paths even when they are hard to see in the snow because they must be used to them from the summer.

The sounds they can make are really quite diverse from howling to a yapping that almost sounds like a child crying.

I spoke to my mom today and asked when do the daffodils bloom. She said mostly from mid April to early May, but there are some early ones and apparently the whole color range. When I expressed my amazement at how many there are and still coming, she was like well they are not all packed in together. There is still room between them.

Yes I would have to say the 300+ clumps is just a good start.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am looking forward to the pictures from that daffodil show!!

bev