Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Last Day Of August 2011

Members of the Asteraceae family take command of the situation.



The Poaceae tribe adds a little spice.



The last day of August in yellow and white



And Lily the Obscure, potentially Melanthium latifolium.



The last day of August in purple and yellow.



The Asteraceae in different forms and different colors are all over.



The Lush is nearly at peak.



On the last day of August 2011 on the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top.

...........My mistake, the second to last day of August 2011........... Oh well.

5 comments:

Lola said...

Beautiful blooms for Fall. Love the purple & yellow.
What kind of grass is in the pic.? I really like the seed heads on it.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Love those fall colors. Everything looks so lush. Still droughty here. I will have to enjoy the fall color vicariously.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola the first grass is Northern Sea Oats, Chasmanthium latifolium The second grass is a Miscanthus cultivar and the last grass is Feather Reed Grass, a Calamagrostis.

Lisa we have been very short on rain for about the last three weeks. I even need to water a few things this afternoon.

Lola said...

Christopher, when should I plant my Sea Oats seed? I might try the Feather Reed. I had gotten Pink Muhly last yr but it didn't make it. Sure would like to get some more. Have the perfect place for it.
Hope you had a productive, happy day.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola I think you could plant those seeds now as long as you don't let the baby plants freeze this winter. Next winter they can take the cold.