Thursday, June 7, 2012

Daunted

There are many times during the season of vegetation when the thought of trying to control the Lush becomes the reality it is, an insurmountable task. I could spend five full days a week weeding and possibly achieve a notion of civilized chaos.




















But those five days don't exist. Between moving next door and spending more time in my own part of the garden and becoming unreasonably fully employed, the wild cultivated garden next door is showing signs of my absence.

There is only so much an older gardener can do and knowing I wasn't going to have enough time, I gave permission for Bulbarella to have at it with her Roundup. She loves her roundup and can handle any collateral damage. I cringe. Now we can look forward to pathways of brown through the green of the Lush. There will be additional pock marks of dead vegetation where she wants to clear some new ground and nothing good was there anyway.

At her age, I must allow a special dispensation for weed killing.

I will continue to hand pull weeds on my own terrain. I have more time and most days more patience




















This afternoon after a daunting evening stroll, I gave myself a full decade, ten years, to change the nature of the weeds... er wildflowers, on the grounds of Ku'ulei 'Aina. The thugs will be eliminated to the status of minor and occasional weeds.


























I have been so busy weeding, working, it's all the same, that I don't think I have properly bonded with the roadside vegetable garden this year. It is on track. The corn is up. Tomatoes, peppers, squashes and cucumbers are in. We have been eating bowls of strawberries and tons of lettuce with garnishes of radishes and sweet peas, but I feel somewhat removed, a bit distant from the produce department. My harvesting time has suffered the most.

With my thick layer of weed suppressing, water saving, decomposing and fertilizing wood chip mulch the roadside vegetable garden just doesn't need me like the rest of the wild cultivated gardens.




















I really need enough wood chips for the entire mountain top, but when would I have the time to spread them? Mulch is a powerful thing.

6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Christopher, I think this is the time of year that we all are feeling like our garden is taking us over instead of the other way around. If I was Bulberella's age I would be getting my RU out to use too. Such a feeling of control. :) I can't imagine trying to garden on the scale that you and Bulberella gardens. My little suburban garden whipps me from time to time.

Jean Campbell said...

I try to plan so that mowing can make paths through the wilderness when it gets away from me.

I try to not spray Roundup but Grass be Gone is going to take out some Bermuda that insists on taking a rose bed.

sallysmom said...

I have to third what has been said. There are times that we have to use drastic measures (Round Up or Grass be Gone or whatever will do the trick).

Lola said...

Count me as #4 especially by the chain link fence. That tears up the string on a weed whacker. Being in town sure has it's draw backs.

Anonymous said...

I have become friendly with RU this year. I think I just gave up last year and the lush just kept coming. I have been working more in the gardens this year and need some shortcuts as I plant more. I have been using cypress bark mulch in the beds around the house, but I think I am going to go to wood chips. My brother has done so in his garden after I told him about you, but i have resisted. Why??? I do not know.

Dianne

Anonymous said...

I think we all have to make our peace with what we will try to control and what we won't. Even mulch has to be renewed and periodically weeded. At least, Christopher, you have the most beautiful Lush around!

bev