Saturday, June 16, 2012

I Really Am Insane

I spent a good five hours weeding out the steel rooted Clematis virginiana and remnant Elderberry and Blackberry on the slope below the scenic byway where shrubberies have been planted. When I was done nothing much worth keeping beyond a couple of ferns were left. I should've just sprayed the whole thing and saved myself the toil. I am beginning to question my dedication to hand weeding acres of wilderness.

I might as well go ahead and yank the New England Aster. They will just fall over when it is time to bloom, then set ample seed meaning I will just have more of them to weed out next year. At least the baby shrubberies are growing.




















Five years later and I am still pulling trash off this slope. It is rather astounding how the Lush grabs hold of it and pulls it down into the soil given time. This isn't new trash. I pick up the fresh stuff almost as fast as it gets flung.




















If I am gonna have weeds they will be the weeds I want. Granted the slope below the byway will be more about shrubs and texture than sunny flowers. Still, I can have better weeds there.




















I am going to be needing those 36 more years the Gentlings took to get to their fine mountainside garden at this rate.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

"Better weeds" - now there's a lofty goal!

That last picture is FULL of beauty, by the way.....

Lola said...

I like your "weeds", so pretty. Isn't it amazing how some people think their trash belongs just anywhere. Signs don't seem to help either.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Patience weed puller. You will get there sooner than you think.