Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Give Me 36 More Years

The garden you are about to enter may cause severe amounts of lust, angst, awe and inspiration. Or is this a sign for the bamboo?




















Day two of Asheville Fling 2012 begins at the garden of Peter and Jasmin Gentling. Lisa of Greenbow is most properly coiffed for such an august occasion and stops to pose for the paparazzi before entering this forest retreat on a mountain above down town Asheville.





















The Gentlings most graciously greet the 80 plus garden bloggers who have come to spend the morning in their garden and tell them about the 40 years they have gardened here and a bit of the 100 year history of their home, Blue Briar Cottage.





















If I plant a Dawn Redwood, Metasequoia glyptostroboides now, how big will it get before my time comes? They were only rediscovered and then distributed by Arnold Arboretum in 1948. This tree may have been part of that original distribution.


























Large rocks as steps on a steep mountain side garden. I can do that.


























Peter Gentling is a collector of rare and unusual cultivars. My best guess on this is a Calycanthus of some sort.




















Stopping to smell the roses.




















Embraced by the natural forest, a well tended garden filled with textures and topped off with flowers blended just fine into the natural setting. Perhaps I worry too much that my own garden if overly cultivated would look odd out there in the wilderness.


























Several out buildings in the garden also served the gardeners need. This shed was next to a working green house. The area in between was lined with cold frames for propagating new plants.



















Another small building tucked into the hill is a green house in the winter for tropicals




















And a painting studio in the summer for the talented artist Peter Gentling.




















Art was well placed throughout the rooms of the garden created by the terraced levels and meandering paths, even art some might consider frightening or disturbing.


























Nail Man was given a home in the Gentling's garden after a some what troubled birth then eviction in the River Arts District in Asheville. When Peter mentioned Nail Man was living at the top of the hill I knew exactly who he was talking about.




















Everyone in Asheville has poppies. I should try again. Obviously they will grow here.




















The many textures and layers of interest that 40 years of a passion for gardening can create. All I need is a little more time.




















A little zen about gardening in the forest.



















One day I too can have a garden worthy of pearl clutching.




















I will garden on to the passion that is my own, while listening to the voice of the forest.


























Thank you Peter and Jasmin for sharing your most inspiring garden with all of us.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I asked the Gentlings if I could forward my mail and move in. I promised to be a good garden worker. They were such lovely, gracious, entertaining, and brilliant people--and like you, I think we just need a little more time and patience for our gardens to grow like the Gentlings! Thank you so much for arranging this visit, Christopher!

Gaia Gardener: said...

I just discovered your blog a week or two ago and found myself really resonating with your comments on this post. We moved here 5 1/2 years ago; this is my 6th house and 6th "permanent" garden to try to establish. While it's an enjoyable challenge to create a new garden, sometimes I really yearn for 40 years time to truly put down my gardening roots....

Pam/Digging said...

40 years of love and toil have combined to make a stunning garden. What a treat it was to visit the Gentlings' garden -- thanks for putting this garden on the Fling itinerary!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Thank you for including this GREAT garden on our fling Christopher. Going through my photos I saw things that I hadn't completely absorbed while there.
I did miss Nailman, guess I will have to find a time and a way to get back there!!
Loved Lisa's hat!!

Annie in Austin said...

Plant the Dawn Redwood, Christopher - hope you both thrive for a long, long time. Thanks for that beautiful photo of Lisa - she looks so happy to be in this wonderful garden.

Your mystery calycanthus made me curious - think it could be a Calycanthus raulstonii ‘Hartlage Wine’? Carolyn of Carolyn's Shade Garden has it on her blog and it's supposed to have been introduced by the Raulston Arboretum.

Thanks for your look at this garden - may many beautiful poppies be yours!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Jim/ArtofGardening said...

Not that anything was less than stellar, but I think this garden was the highlight of my trip there.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Thanks for the link love Chris. Iso enjoyed this much loved mountain retreat. Iappreciate that you got it on our itenerary.
Your photos take me back to that cool beautiful stroll in this mountain side garden.

Damaris said...

Stunning! And yeah, what's a few more decades, right? Thank you for sharing these images and thoughts, I cannot wait to meet the Gentlings and see this fabulous garden.

Rose said...

This garden was such an inspiration; I'm like Julie, I'd be glad to help with some garden work if I could move in with the Gentlings:) Thanks, Christopher, for arranging this tour; this garden is one that I will long remember.

vbdb said...

You captured the essence of this garden so well with your words and photos. Thanks for making it part of our visit and memories.

Skeeter said...

I hear Nail Man Aka: Pinhead was a hike up the hill. I passed on that hike to visit bloggers on the front porch. But now, I see I missed more by passing on that little jaunt. Oh well, all the more reason for me to get back to Asheville and to visit the Gentling Gardens once again! I did hear them extend an invitation to us for a future visit. I made sure to take a note on that one… Loved this Garden!!