Saturday, November 23, 2013

Remnants

As winter rushes in all that remains of the tall flower meadow are dried seed heads ready to disperse on the chilled winds. Both memories and the future are contained in a white froth. It is nature's turn to play gardener.



























Now is my chance to play stone mason. I have a dry stack stone wall to finish.





















Out there in the garden becoming are plenty rocks for the fetching.





















In half an hour with two buckets I collected a fresh batch.





















It was a cold morning, only getting colder as the day wore on, but the upper wall is now done. I was determined. The weathers for next week are looking even worse. A cold misty day above freezing would have to do.





















Here is a closeup to give you a better view of the top. The light under the cozy cabin isn't the best for picture taking and wet rocks are a different color than dry rocks.





















It is done. Now all I need are massive quantities of gravel sized rocks to cover the dirt slope above the wall. They are here, hiding in the ground. I will dig them up over time, bucket by bucket.





















As winter rushes in the last bit of a long project gets scratched off the list. But I decided a while ago I need a new wall. The lower half of the switch back path needs to be widened and a short little wall, 12 to 18 inches, will need to go on the uphill side. I have a new project.





















Will I have enough rocks?

4 comments:

Gardener in the Distance said...

It's painstaking work, Christopher, but your workmanship is beautiful.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

If anyone could do it it would be you Christopher. I have great faith in your masonry skills.

Becky said...

We might run out of a lot of things here but we always have plenty of stones usually 2 stones to one dirt and sometimes three. Having to look for stones in a garden must be nice

Lola said...

Beautiful. Can't wait to see it when finished.