Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Big Rain Is Coming

And it's packing big winds.

It takes a substantial rain to get any water flowing towards the bottom of the garden becoming. Even when a flow manages to start it disappears into the ground before it gets very far. I have that proverbial moist, well drained soil full of organic matter. Lucky me.

It would be interesting, but I don't really ever want to see water actually flowing stream like through the crease in the bottom. It is a bit surprising that I haven't seen that so far. Twenty feet below me on the adjoining property is an old road cut. Right in the crease on the uphill side is a small spring. There is water constantly flowing through the garden becoming. It's just slightly below ground.





















Better rain than snow at this particular juncture. A white Christmas would be fine if I was staying put. I'm headed south. Snow is better, but heavy rains and strong winds will do their part in pressing the tall flower meadow back into the earth. The longer I wait the less I will have to chop and drop before bulb time in the spring.





















The exuberant chaos of the wild abandon is getting thread bare. That will make it a bit easier when I start fetching rocks for the new short wall. The thick carpet of leaf litter is another matter. It is very much a visual block when rock hunting.



























Patience, patience, patience. Wait, wait, wait. I have chores that need doing. I need blue skies and 50 degree days.

I'm already a bit squirrely and today is the winter solstice, just the very first day. Well at least I haven't had to wait for that.


No comments: