Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Lush Decomposition

With each new storm a little bit more of the Lush vanishes. Wear patterns that are paths become visible in the earth and baby evergreens hint at the mature garden to come.





















It is in my best interest to be patient. This natural process that returns most of the Lush back to the earth from where it came saves me a lot of work. The dead sticks left standing will be chopped down closer to spring before the bulbs arrive.





















The smallest and most recently planted baby evergreens, long hidden in the Lush, are coming back into view. These tiny Emerald Green Arbovitae, Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' will one day be fifteen feet tall and four feet wide. They are planted close together, but further apart than they look in the picture.





















A small Mugo Pine has reappeared.





















It's not just the evergreens that are more visible. There are countless deciduous woody shrubs hiding out there in the garden becoming and many of them are still not much more than twigs. In an ocean of dead brown sticks they are much more susceptible to an accidental decapitation in the chop down. The more of the Lush I let decompose, the easier they are to find.





















The garden's bones are growing. I get to see them clearly in the barren time.













4 comments:

Lola said...

We see lots more from the decomposition. Things of beauty not able to be seen when all is green & lush.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola it's a whole new perspective.

Rebecca said...

Do you intend to be so philosophical or does it just "happen"? Cases in point:

*It is in my best interest to be patient.

*The more of the Lush I let decompose, the easier they are to find.

*The garden's bones are growing. I get to see them clearly in the barren time.

Christopher C. NC said...

No Rebecca I do not intend to be philosophical. It just comes out. If I tried on purpose it would probably come out wrong.

It may be in my best interest to be patient, but I am itching for the time and the weather to start some of the chop and drop. I have three acres to cover.