Thursday, November 23, 2017

The Under Garden Returns

Today was the day. I was ready. A holiday and beautiful weather coincided and the Under Garden has returned.




















It was a frosty morning. No problem. I was moving in slow motion and my deer hunters were here and I needed to stay quiet.




















The sun rose over the mountain. The frost melted. My deer hunters know the hours near dawn and dusk are best. Once they left, I got to chopping.




















The slope below the cabin is where the bulk of the Under Garden is. That is where I begin the winter long project of dropping three acres of meadow.




















In a few short hours a brand new garden is revealed.




















It almost amounts to having a second spring.




















Phase two will carry the garden well into late spring when the time of vegetation swallows it once more.




















It gains more substance with each passing year.




















That substance makes editing around the individual plants a bit easier every year too.




















It is critical that I do keep a skylight open all summer long. Without sun, the plants of the Under Garden would shrink and pout.




















I seem to have found that happy medium between the wildness of the Tall Flower Meadow and the needs of the Under Garden. Today I uncovered it and it was looking good.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your efforts at two separate gardens in one.
What is the river of lighter green running below what I think is juniper.
Daisy

Christopher C. NC said...

Daisy that river of green below the Blue Star Juniper is a path through the garden. It gets weed whacked in the growing season and that favors grasses. Our weed grasses are generally cool season types so they can stay green all winter.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is exciting to see the under garden again. It looks quite perky.

Anonymous said...

Got it. Thanks, Chris.