Wednesday, December 27, 2017

How Should I Prune Them

Left alone, the two Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Gold Mop' planted below the front porch will grow into small, to 15 feet, conical evergreen trees.




















I don't want that, never did, while knowing full well that is what they do when I planted them there. I wanted the color and evergreen of them.




















Pruning them in some fashion was anticipated. After six years of slow growing, the time to begin training them has come. But into what?




















They are an element of color in the living painting of the bigger picture of the winter Under Garden. I have been to Pearl Fryar's garden. I'm willing and able to go that far.




















I have found only one possible clue. Otherwise, I am stumped. What could I train them into? I need a shape, a form. I need a notion to ponder. I'm even willing to consider bondage.




















We have entered a deep freeze that is scheduled to last for the next week. I don't see any snow coming with it, but it will be well below my minimum operating temperature. My activities will be limited. Those two 'Gold Mops' will be calling for a plan from me while I sit frozen without a notion.


1 comment:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I have one of those Gold Mops in my garden. It doesn't get enough sun unfortunately. I will be interested in knowing what you plan to do with yours. I have seen several articles about Mr Fryer. I would love to see his garden.