Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The Garden Needs Me

Between sheds and bears, work kind work, pestilence of every kind and the lack of incoming visitors, the mowing of the paths is a bit overdue. I wasn't feeling moved. Why bother? Everybody up here knows where the paths are.




















I managed a walk, muttering, and hollering at the damn varmints. The deer discovered all of my red and yellow twig dogwood planted below the garden and well over the property line. Deer love dogwood.

The deer have never sampled the Aralia racemosa.




















The routine floppage of the Tall Flower Meadow has begun. Thank goodness the bear did not stomp on the Doll's Eye, Actaea pachypoda. I'm looking forward to a full set of eyes. Bears are actually quite tidy foragers. They can dig underground wasp nests with precision. They do poop right in the paths though. Everybody up here uses the paths.




















I feel certain a nice civilizing mow job will help hide the pestilence.




















Much better to focus on the abundance.




















It really is a zoo out there.




















The bugs are just one dimension that I largely ignore.






















We got four inches of rain in the last twenty four hours. I had a rain day off from work. A window from the house my grandfather built was framed into the shed.




















It was far too wet to mow anything. Sister #2 will be here shortly. I need to get something mowed this week. Bulbarella is getting a new knee. She had the good sense not to leave her alone to recover with just me.


3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I hope the bear has moved on. Get your mowing done for goodness sakes. Best of luck to Bulbrella. Your garden is romping and stomping. Looks great.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa we have far too many loose apples for a bear to move on. Course there are lots of loose apples all over these mountains. I'm plotting the mowing schedule. I sure hope this knee surgery makes things better.

Sallysmom said...

Hope all goes well for your mom. Love that lily!