Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Floored

Three quarter inch tongue and groove 8'x4' plywood is heavy and sometimes the tongue is not to excited about being forced into the groove. The premium construction adhesive applied to the floor joists did give the plywood a little slide action. Some times that was helpful, some times it most certainly was not. The palms of my hands are a little discolored. At least they are not stuck to anything.

How obsessed am I being with perfection? An eighth of an inch off here, a quarter there, eww that is half an inch off. A little trimming on one of the edges will need to be done, but my contractor warned me that was a possibility. It was more important to have the two sheets of plywood line up on the shared joist at the seam.















I was working methodically, measuring twice, thinking about what I was doing and not in any hurry. They just don't seem to make lumber that is truly straight, flat or true to size. That seemed to account for a lot of the slight discrepancies.

As a floor unit it turned out very tight. After I was done, with the tiny bit of energy I had remaining, I jumped up and down and ran around the new floor. It didn't move. I have a very steady floor.

I wonder what the acceptable margin of error is when they are busting out entire subdivisions that have to be done on schedule? Is my half an inch in the zone or better?

There was a lot of nail pounding involved in this exercise. Perhaps as many nails as the petals on these asters.















Maybe it was more like the actual number of individual flowers on these Goldenrod.














It felt like the number of blades of grass sprouting on my hillside of saprolite.















I was running out of nails.

I think I need a fun day before I go back and finish applying the heavy duty masonry coating to the upper portion of the tall columns.

6 comments:

chuck b. said...

Lumber is totally crooked. And the only accurate measurement is length.

Phillip Oliver said...

I am just in awe of anyone who can build a house or any type carpentry for that matter. I guess I don't have the patience and end up doing things haphazardly. Every time I build something, it is either crooked, not level, etc. What is the size of your house?

Anonymous said...

Oh, boy; as someone who helped husband build an entire house of tongue and groove paneling and flooring (Knotty pine panels on (cathedral) ceilings and all walls; 5" tongue and groove oak floors); I can REALLY sympathize with trying to do that by yourself. You will be many pounds lighter and stronger by the time this is done! And yes, lumber is totally crooked as chuck says.

Carol Michel said...

I'm impressed. It's fun to watch from afar to see the progress you are making.

Christopher C. NC said...

It is good to hear that lumber is totally crooked so I don't think I am crazy or blind. I actually rejected two of the boards we had bought for the girders and went and bought new ones. I will keep it in mind as the walls go up.

Never having done this I am impressed with myself too. Granted I have an excellant Construction Coach. That makes a big big difference.

I just tell myself, take your time and don't be afraid.

Phillip the cabin is 14x27 with a sleeping loft and 7' front porch.

chuck b. said...

Yeah, you should always pick your wood carefully for any important project. If they won't let you pick it yourself, try to shop somewhere else. That's what I was taught in Landscape Construction. And it's what my dad always did.