Thursday, September 6, 2007

Sublimation

I went to the big city to try and get a job and all I came back with was some shrubberies.



















A couple of groundcovers to start propagating, Sedum tetractinum, Creeping Sedum and a yellow flowered Delosperma nubigenum, Ice Plant.

I came home with a Joe Pye Weed, Eupatorium purpureum too. This one is a shorter cultivar in the three to four foot range with a darker flower color. Unfortunately I looked for the nicest plant with unopened flowers and did not notice there was no tag with the cultivar name in the one I picked.

And a Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light' landed in my truck. It was cheaper than the Silverbell, Halesia tetraptera (aka Halesia carolina) and Sourwood, Oxydendrum arboreum trees I was coveting. I split the Miscanthus in half and made two plants, even better.

Tomorrow and Saturday I am going back to the big city to network with the horticultural elite of North Carolina, I hope, at a seminar called "Speaking of Gardening". The infamous Mr Dan Hinkley will be speaking both days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love "Morning Light." It doesn't get so d___ed BIG so fast as to need dividing frequently, and doesn't seed around like the others. Enjoy!
Good luck with the job search. Don't get discouraged.

chuck b. said...

I'm rooting for you!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the job search. The plants finds look cool.

Anonymous said...

Great new additions for the garden! I do love the 'Morning Light' grass. All the selections are interesting ones though! You should have a great time at the lectures. Actually, you are probably home by now.

lisa said...

Nice acquisitions! I dig ice plant, and it even winters over for me here in zone 4...that grass is nice, too. Hey, at least the trip wasn't a total bust.