Sunday, September 16, 2007

Upon These Girders

I will build my cabin.

I like carpentry better than cement work. Measure once, measure twice, cut, assemble and measure some more. Today I start on the floor joists.

The girders are exceedingly level and 1/8 of inch from perfection on the diagonal measurement. Adding the floor joists will help straighten any hidden misalignment.















The winding path to my new home takes me through a living garden from which I gather clues and information.















This familiar tree of my youth has disappeared over much of the south. It is nice to see it still exists in pockets and can even take on more vivid hues than what I would have seen long ago in North Florida.















This sedum, Sedum cauticola 'Lidakense' I can do. It has a major flowering for such a petite creeping plant. The ubiquitous sedum 'Autumn Joy' so far has just rubbed me the wrong way. There is something about its form and stature that does not appeal to me. Perhaps in a grey/red/bronze leaf form I could like the 'Autumn Joy'.















The Goldenrods and all the late summer life it harbors is still going strong. This plant in a shorter form has very good potential for use in my heath/heather look adaptation garden for my sunny hillside.



















I may just be seeing this again as a second wave, the Erigeron annuus, or I may be seeing it for the first time. Lord there are a lot of Asters and their near kin up here.
















Time for Joists now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The deer did me a favor with my many (self seeding) Autumn Joy this year. They chomped them down to about 1/3 as high as they usually get, before I got around to spraying the nasty stuff they don't like. Consequently when they made buds, I have short plants with many small blooms rather than the taller ones which often splayed if I didn't keep them divided. I think I like them better! May be a deliberate strategy for future years!

ps I always enjoy your photos. So relaxing to review at the end of a day.

Christopher C. NC said...

Thank you Bev! I am glad you like my pictures.

Maybe that was what bugged me about the Autumn Joy, they always look like they are about to fall over.

Annie in Austin said...

Is the tree a sourgum?

Christopher C. NC said...

The tree is a Dogwood Annie. They all seem to be the first trees to start turning. I have noticed many that are quite red already.