Sunday, January 13, 2008

Cathedral Walls

It is good for me to get off this mountain on occasion and have a look around at what the rest of the world is doing. At a house nicknamed "The Cathedral" there is a dry stacked stone wall. From a distance it looked to be the nicest one in the enclave I saw.













Upon closer inspection I thought I should say a little prayer. Who built this wall and how much did they pay for this? I neglected to look closely enough to see if it was back filled with gravel, but it did not jump out at me that it had been.













I still do not claim to be a master stone mason myself by any stretch of the imagination.













But I sure feel better about my wall after seeing some of what is out there. Not to shabby for an amateur.

4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You wall is very nice. Now quit fretting about it.

Annie in Austin said...

If you're fishing for compliments you hooked me, Christopher - your amateur wall does look more stable.

Hope the peonies make it~

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Christopher C. NC said...

I think I inherited some of my mother's worry gene. I'm trying to convince myself that it isn't going to fall down from hydrostatic pressure. I'm getting there.

I looked at the Peony that was trying to bud out today. It looks ok now, but tonight we are going to 20 degrees and it takes time for that damage to show. I think it should be able to sprout lower down on the crown come the real spring.

Anonymous said...

Wow... that wall...

It is, of course, very different from YOUR gorgeous wall. More concentrated mass. Different angles.

Do not compare.

It is enough to enjoy. Thank you.