Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Wall Was Still There

I missed the first real snow storm and the coldest blast of the winter while I was basking in the warm 40 degrees of North Florida. There was still a fair amount of snow up top when I returned, but it pretty much disappeared in the rain that fell during the night.

The melting snow reminded me of mud season in the Colorado Rockies. Walking around looking at things was kind of slippery and icky, so I just looked and did not attempt to start back to work on the basement patio.

It was just as well since I am certain I sprained my left wrist yanking out tenacious vines in a certain North Florida garden. It hurt just to fold my laundry. I should probably let it rest a bit.














The ground is saturated from the rain before and the big snow I missed. It got as low as 10 degrees and I could tell the earth in spots had moved even more from this greater absence of something than it had in earlier freezes. Any hydrostatic pressure that might be able to build behind my wall got frozen and expanded and is now thawing again.














And when I got back my wall was still there exactly where I left it and nary a stone had fallen out of the face.

In the top right background you may note the two new utility poles that sprouted in my absence. They did a fine job.

5 comments:

chuck b. said...

Well, that seems like a good sign. I'd guess it's at greatest risk during the first snow, and after the last frost when the ground thaws for the season. But I don't know nothin'.

Carol Michel said...

The wall looks great. A few more freeze and thaw cycles ought to convince you that it is solid.

Anonymous said...

The wall looks prettier every time I see it.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your wall is going to be just fine. I can't wait until you plant something in it.

The picture of the sky is a beautiful winter scene.

Christopher C. NC said...

I'll probably stop obsessing over this wall when I get going on the next one. I brought back a few artifacts from Florida that I may try to incorporate into the second wall.