Monday, January 7, 2008

Missed It By That " " Much

There was some very busy dead wood action going on around here while I was gone. The new utility poles were put up, one along my driveway and the other in the road side vegetable and flower garden. Not only did we get new taller poles, we got new much thicker looking electric wire too. Currently (you could call that a pun) there looks to be some kind of electric hybrid situation going on. The new wire has jumper cables attached to the old lines.


















They came very close to my Picea abies 'Nidiformis'. One of the two orange flags I placed to mark it had the orange flag removed but the wire was still there. I was actually quite impressed that they did not obliterate it completely. Now it is too close to the pole though and come spring I think I will move it.














I have never in my life seen an abandoned electric utility line right next to a newer line so I am assuming this process is still not completed. Some how they are going to have to roll up all that old wire and yank out the old poles. I hope the same crew is doing the removal. For what they had to do there was next to no damage.


















If you don't count that the roadside vegetable and flower garden looks like it has been plowed.

I would bet that most of the perennial wildflowers root crowns will be just fine and well there aren't any vegetables to worry about at the moment. The fence is still there and they didn't toss their litter all over the place. I'd say that's a job well done.

Now they just need to come back and finish before May when it will be time to plant the garden.














What goes up must come done and that is what happened to two dead trees in the snow storm. One fell uphill and one fell down hill. The fact that the big blue pot was not smashed is a miracle. It must have fallen on a cushy layer of snow and note the leaning tree trunk in the top left.














This tree trunk safely guided the falling tree over by about three feet before it hit the ground and spared the blue pot from a crushing blow.














Good fortune prevailed in my absence.

3 comments:

Frances, said...

That your little picea was spared by the utility workers is indeed a miracle. The blue pot being spared is a good sign that Mother Nature is on your side. And then there's the wall still standing. You must be doing something right.

Anonymous said...

That's incredible about the Picea, given the picture. I don't know how they avoided just stepping on it, much less inserting the pole so close with no damage. Hope you are as lucky when they return to remove the wire!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Aren't you glad you weren't there to fret over all the work and storms?? You are lucky they didn't squash your little picea.