Friday, April 18, 2008

Bulbarella Clears New Ground

A massive cleanup in the sunny utility meadow of last year's tree butchering is underway. The large piles of rubbish that were stacked along the edges to gain access to the garden are being burned up, one pile at a time. The lower center section has been cleared.













This is what we are dealing with, stacks of tree branches and tree trunks that had been chopped and dropped on the garden by the utility company. Last summer I organized them into piles.













Back at the ridge top garden what I thought would be a lily is turning into Fritillaria pallidiflora.


















A white Fritillaria meleagris adds to the Fritillaria collection.













A closer look.


















Tulipa bakeri 'Lilac Wonder' early in the morning.




















Fully open at the end of the day. The ridge top garden is packed full of wonders.













So full, that more room is needed for expansion. Another 40 x 40 section of slope was cleared of all the fallen branches and logs and made ready for planting. That's it, just pick up and burn the big stuff and it is ready for planting. The new stuff is planted right in with the natives.













Down at my place slow progress is being made on the cabin. We are about ready to raise the walls, making sure we had everything we needed.

The Tulips at the top of my drive survived the weekend snow and are looking fine. Yes somebody will live here one day.













The wild Viola sororia is looking nice.
















Serviceberry, Amalanchier arborea, a nice small native tree is blooming in my own sunny utility valley.













Blogging has become a bit of a chore. It seems that live time stock trading programs suck up our allotted bandwidth. By bedtime when I get on the computer, Hughes Network satellite internet has put the hex on us and the computer slows to a dysfunctional, lost connection crawl. It takes hours to load photos. Reading other blogs and websites while I wait is just as painful when the pages do not fully load. Aggravation is something I like to avoid.

I am weighing possible options.

5 comments:

chuck b. said...

You can't live without us.

chuck b. said...

This is the first time in recent memory I would say it's looked warm outside Clyde.

Christopher C. NC said...

Nancy that is what I do while waiting for construction to happen, plant things. If only I could get the septic system in, a whole new area for planting would be opened.

Chuck I may just have to live with less of you by determining optimum computer speed times and yes it was pert near 80 degrees yesterday.

Unknown said...

Wow. The Fritillaria pallidiflora is a beauty. I first was wowed by the bright crown imperials, but lately I'm really taken with the smaller, sweeter ones. (Kind of like tulips in that way, for me.)

lisa said...

I know what you mean about blogging...I can only load pics at work, and keeping up with garden events in real time is rough this time of year when everything is happening so fast. My attitude is just do what I can and refuse to fret about it, cuz' if it's not fun then why bother? Heh...sometimes I'm glad when the bloggers I read only post once a week or so, makes it easier for me to keep up! :)