Monday, April 7, 2008

The Next Wave

The Daffodils are still going strong. Some have yet to open. This morning the air was filled with a sweet fragrance I had not noticed before. Is it the Daffodils on a sunny day with a still wind?

In between, amongst, around, and beside them another wave of life is brewing.













One stretch of the slope along the drive has a different colored Vinca. It is a grape purple, tending towards a port wine color.













The first dozen of hundreds of Hosta are waking from their winter rest.













A new type of Muscari is here.



















Ipheion uniflorum is starting to bloom. I am beginning to think if it is in a bulb catalog, Bulbarella has bought it and planted it.














Have I mentioned the thousands of Iris on the ridge top garden that are growing and expanding as we speak? One caught me by surprise. I never would have guessed from its foliage that this is Iris bucharica.















There is a wide assortment of yet unidentified Daffodilesque foliage. Some appear to be turning into miniature Daffodils. Some look to be leaning in a whole new direction.

















This must be a Lily of some kind. It is strangely alone in an area not packed with neighbors.















I look at this and think isn't that lovely. Was it intentional or an accident? In my tidying of all the dead stalks of last years perennials I am seeing A LOT of very tiny, Lily, Daffodil, Allium, Muscari, Chionoxa, Scilla , Hyacinthoides, ect, ect, ect seedlings. I am not sure you could dig a hole up here without hitting some bulbs of some kind.



















I'll keep on enjoying the Daffodils as the next wave rolls in.

4 comments:

chuck b. said...

It's more fabulous every single day.

I guess with the forest trees still dormant, enough sunlight can reach the forest floor to energize the bulb foliage.

If the little daffodils are jonquils, they should be quite fragrant. Those are my favorite narcissus. Many of them make three flowers on a thin stem, which rocks. The flowers seem to float in the air.

chuck b. said...

Oh, and white muscari (anemic fish eggs on a stick) and vinca (weedy) are ewww.

But I must say that that's an especially nice colored vinca.

Chrissy said...

Lovely photos.

Christopher C. NC said...

Maybe you would likee the pure white Scilla that I haven't shown instead. There are definately Jonquilla Narcissus here with the much thinner foliage. That is probably what I smelled this morning. It was a sweet fruity scent with a light hint of musk. It looks like some of the Jonquilla can be pretty small. A lot of this unknown foliage is small to tiny.

The Vinca does not come close to the Lamium in weediness and sometimes ya got to put something on a hill to hold it in place.