Monday, January 23, 2012

The Garden Rant Interview

I promised them a garden unlike any they have ever seen, high on the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top.



There was mention of a wild forest filled with native wildflowers and shrubberies. There was no mention of some other items that might be considered attractions in the wild cultivated gardens.



Right now it is hard to imagine the lush that will awaken in a few more months and fill the sunny utility meadow, just one part of the larger garden covering the mountain top, with an ongoing display of flowers from spring to the killing frosts of autumn.

I didn't mention that dark lump lying below the grass either.



That lump is a single gigantic rock on the edge of the sunny utility meadow.



A stream flows beneath it and spills down into the dark forest where a completely native ecosystem of wildflowers blooms in early spring. I wandered through there today to begin picking up sticks on the path that leads down through the forest to the edge of the stream, getting it ready for curious visitors. The uncultivated garden is an added bonus to the wild cultivated parts that make up the real garden.



I know what extravagance lies beneath the still sleeping ground.



So I promised them a garden unlike any they have ever seen in an Interview at Garden Rant promoting the Asheville 2012 Fling.

(Bulbarella put your mouse on the words Interview at Garden Rant and click on it. They were asking about you.)



Even in the barrenness of winter cars come to a complete stop on the scenic byway, gawking at the little bits they can see of the wild cultivated gardens high on the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top.



There will be so much more to see in May and so much more to see when you are invited in to explore and stroll the expansive grounds.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous. I wish I could be there, but it is too far away. Sallysmom

Les said...

I was prompted to read the interview through Facebook before I saw this post. I must say you did a fine job.

Christopher C. NC said...

Sallysmom if you ever find yourself up this way just let me know.

Les The Rant interview was up early this morning before this post. Bummer you can't make it, but I have been in the nurseries here at that time of year and know what a mad house it is. Course you could get a little sick that weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great rock! Can't wait for the photos before the big tour!

bev

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am looking forward to seeing your wild and cultivated areas. It will be a good time touring Asheville.

Lola said...

Good times are coming. Love that 2nd pic. Best of it yet. That boulder looks big enough to put a bench or a table & couple chairs on it for a resting stop.
Sure wish I was able to view the wild & cultivated garden.