Friday, May 11, 2012

A Little Bit Of Phacelia and Some Vegetables

I have only been showing you the phacelia in Haywood County.




















But as you move to the top of the ridge top garden and look over the fence into Madison County,




















Oh my, there is just as much phacelia over there.


























Its spread has been exponential in the five springs that I have been here. We have a little bit of phacelia around here.




















My roadside wildflower bed next door is growing and turning green, but nothing is blooming yet. It gets started with the chicory in June. This bed works great summer, fall and winter. I haven't really done anything in there for a spring display. I don't want to put daffodils in it. Maybe crocus and the early iris reticulata would work.




















Across the driveway in the roadside vegetable garden the lettuce is ready for picking, if I can find the time to pick it and wash it. The chef might consider some field work of harvesting when the strawberries start to ripen in a couple more weeks. Strawberries are more enticing than lettuce.




















I squeezed in the pepper planting late this afternoon. Half of the tomatoes are in. The potatoes are up. Carrots made it past the sprout stage without being devoured. Some sugar snap peas are going. I really have trouble seeding things directly. Between the grasshoppers, the main culprit I think, rollie pollies and some sluggery, my seeds get et up the moment they stick their heads out of the ground. I am doing cucumbers and squashes in pots this year to get them past the seedling stage in a safer environment.




















Our average annual last frost date is May 15th. I am planting some of the warm season crops a little early this year. All the signs have been pointing to an early everything so why should I hold back in the vegetable garden any longer.

2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Yummm your veggie garden look delicious. The darned rolly pollies are horrible here this year.

Lola said...

It all looks great. Grub worms are beginning to cause problems. They chewed on my potatoes. That's the only thing I can find to do this deed.
If we don't get enough rain things may be hurting much more. A hose doesn't get the same results as a nice shower.
Do wish your mother a very Happy Mother's Day.