Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Picking Up The Trash On The Side Of The Road

It started last night at ten, the barking, pacing up and down the last quarter mile of scenic byway before it crosses the county line. It turned to a sad howling for hours before settling into a low moaning call by 2:30 in the morning. The sound finally parked itself in the turnout on the road below me. I tried not to hear it through my sleep.


























Meet Walter and Emmit. Someone tossed their trash off on the side of the road and took off, leaving me to pick it up as usual. Boy was I surprised and shocked when I went to give Walter some more food this afternoon while he waited for the animal control to come fetch him and found the black and gold and hurt Emmit was with him. No wonder he parked himself at the turnout. His hurt friend was there.




















Look at that tan ring around Walter's neck. A dog collar that does that doesn't accidentally fall off. It is taken off.




















Emmit has a visible collar ring around his neck too. His right rear paw is swollen and looks bad. He looks much younger than Walter. Just a baby.

In an idiot's mind, I suppose an older dog could be expected to look after the younger hurt one and bring him food now that they have been set free in the wild.




















But by this afternoon Walter wasn't looking much better and was limping as well. Old and injured hunting dogs get tossed off on the side of the road with the rest of the trash. This particular pullout gets used very much like the county dump.

Animal control was understaffed today. They would get here as soon as they could, as in tomorrow. It rained all day and tonight it is going into the upper 40's.

I am not a dog person and live with two scaredy cats in a small house. Feeding them is the best I can do. I hope they are still there in the morning. At least it has stopped raining.




















I pick up huge sacks of trash along my stretch of the scenic byway three or four times a year. Then I curse under my breath when I see new trash starting to pile up again. Far to often that trash is discarded living animals, someone's former pet. I cried for Walter and Emmit. I can't believe people can be that stupid and cruel. This happens on average twice a year. Each time it breaks my heart.

I tossed a full sack of seed of the False Solomon's Seal, Maianthemum racemosum on the slope just below the scenic byway. I want my stretch of highway to look nice. Traffic stopping nice. To this day I am still pulling trash off that slope that has been buried there for years, decades even, as I rearrange the plants that grow there.


























I plant beauty for all to see and pick up other people's trash so no one will have to look at it.




















But in a world were some people can toss their used pets out of their cars like another half empty Big Gulp or a jug of Mountain Dew filled with brown spit, I best get used to picking up trash along the side of the road.


























I will keep planting beauty for all to see and pick up other people's trash so no one will have to look at it. And once or twice a year some of that trash will break my heart.

11 comments:

Siria said...

It breaks my heart too that someone would do that to their babies! They sure look like nice dogs. Hope they aren't out in the cold too long!

Your garden is looking gorgeous!

rainymountain said...

It's hard to believe that someone would just dump such handsome dogs - makes you wonder what life crisis the previous owners are in or what kind of brainless, thoughtless idiots they are.
Keep clearing up trash and planting beauty against the wickedness of people.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

When I lived in the country this happened to me more often that a couple of times per year. Amazing that people do just set loose their dogs. One wonders what they could be thinking. Certainly they weren't thinking about the poor animals. You are a good soul giving those dogs food. I doubt they will go anyplace while you are feeding them and giving them water. The world is a better, more beautiful place because of your efforts.

Anonymous said...

As the mother of seven wonderful dogs, all rescue, I understand your plight. And, I have Kitty up in my office that I think some misguided soul felt I needed a barn cat. Can't have cats, even though I love them, as red dog thinks they are prey. There is nothing more loyal than a dog and it breaks my heart when they become discarded trash. I do believe in Karma, however, so there!

Dianne

Les said...

It really pisses me off when I here about irresponsible dog owners. They just toss an animal out when it serves them no more purpose. It makes you wonder if they are parents as well.

Bless you!

Lola said...

I hate to see what people throw out when it serves their purpose no more. Sadly due to the economy more people are just trowing their pets out, not even taking them to a shelter. It does make one wonder if they are parents.
Your efforts to provide beauty will be rewarded.

Fairegarden said...

I cry for Walter and Emmitt and all the other *trash* that gets discarded along the beautiful scenic byway, out in the wild. The people will get to their ring of hell in the end, I hope.

Frances

F Cameron said...

It's sad to see such animal abuse. Hopefully, these dogs will find new homes through the shelter and not be euthanized.

In Spain, greyhounds are used for hunting. When the hunters have finished with them, they HANG them in the trees in the forests.As a person who adopted a retired, racing greyhound here in US, the abuse of such amazing dogs is unfathomable.

Kudos to your efforts for beautifying your roadside and picking up the trash.

Damaris said...

Oh my. Thank you for being kind to the dogs. I have crossed path with many stray/abandoned/lost dogs and most often found their owners, but sometimes there's just nothing I can do.
I want to hold the possibility that it was a desperate act on their owners or some other terrible situation that forced them to do this, who knows.
Sometimes all we can do is lend a helping hand for the current or next step and trust that their path will be a lucky one. Whatever that means.
Everything you do, Christopher, ripples out way beyond what's visible, many thanks!

sallysmom said...

This kind of stuff makes me sick. I have a rescue dog and she has so many issues due to being thrown out. Thank you Chris for what you do for God's creatures.
Sallysmom

Anonymous said...

Ugh, that's terrible. All the dogs you've rescued seem to be the coonhound/other hound variety, like hunting dogs that perhaps can't hunt anymore. I wish they could prosecute those jerks. Thanks for saving their lives, Christopher. Even if you are a cat person. :)

bev