Wednesday, May 2, 2012

This Is What I Planned For

But as many of you know this year's schedule is several weeks off. Everything is blooming early and racing to the finish in the early warm. The wild cultivated gardens of Bonnie Brae and Ku'ulei 'Aina are peaking before it is time.




















With highs scheduled in the upper 70's to low 80's for the next week, the rhododendrons will be winding down by the time the bloggers arrive. In most year's snow is still an option and a warm day is 65 degrees. The rhododendrons are supposed to be peaking the last two weeks of May. Not this year. You win some. You lose some. I might as well plant my corn.





















I don't think praying will help. Bulbarella and I will just have to enjoy the annual showing of the rhododendrons without you.



























With hundreds and hundreds of iris scattered about, there may be some of them left to see. Perhaps the lilies will have started to bloom early.




















I don't think praying will slow down the rhododendrons. This warm could push the Mountain Laurels to bloom if what froze on them didn't include the flower buds. I have my suspicions. The native Flame Azaleas are still waiting in the wings. If they are early like everything else we could be in luck with this June bloomer.


























But if the rains keep falling there really are no worries. Once the wild cultivated garden starts blooming it doesn't stop until after many frosts in the fall. Even if the bloggers arrive at the peak of the lull between the end of the rhododendrons and the beginning of the summer perennials and wild flowers, something will be blooming. It's always a botanical treasure hunt on this mountain top tended by two gardeners ever wanting more.




















If it is going to be this warm I might as well go ahead and plant my corn. I have a raccoon to feed.

6 comments:

Lola said...

It will be fine. There will be plenty to see. Go ahead & plant your corn.
My potatoes are coming along fine. Got a couple to eat. Finally got the area finished behind the fence by the gate. It does look nice.
Will put the bulbs by themselves in my rose garden. Thanks.

Pam/Digging said...

No worries, Christopher. We planned the Austin Garden Bloggers Fling in 2008 for peak bluebonnet season...and we ended up in a drought with no bluebonnets to speak of. However, the pink evening primrose was lovely that year. There's always something to see. Enjoy those rhodies for us.

Rose said...

I'm sure we'll be captivated by whatever is blooming in mid-May, Christopher, so not to worry. Thanks for capturing these beauties in bloom for us.

Your raccoons are probably wondering when you're going to plant corn, too:)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Aaahhhh this is beautiful. I thank you for all your thoughtful plantings. It will be beautiful in our eyes no matter what is or isn't blooming. We are all gardeners and know that feeling of disappointment when things don't go our way. Those of us that will be lucky enough to tour your place will appreciate all that is there.

Siria said...

I remember going to your place at the tail end of rhododendrum bloom season a few years ago, and it was still gorgeous! I'm sure it will be perfect!

Gail said...

it happens...and we will love to see the cozy cabin and what ever is on the mountain in bloom.