Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Forest Gives And The Forest Takes Away

Three and a half years ago the forest coughed up three fur balls and the Spot family entered my life. When the spotlets were grown a year later, Mama Spot took off never to be seen again. She disappeared for about nine days and then came home. Then Crawford disappeared for five days and came back home. Mama Spot then left again and never returned. There were only two spots left. October 2009 was a test in the ways of the forest and kitties.























Crawford grew into a handsome cat. Life was good. Plenty small rodents to catch. Plenty food to eat and a nice warm bed when wanted.





















He did what cats do, bossed me around until he got what he wanted.


























There were two cats in the yard and everything was fine. Miss Collar had her brother and a companion to keep her company while I was away at work.



















Crawford was last seen at Thursday night's supper after I had left for the Garden Bloggers Asheville Fling 2012. He has not returned since I have been home. He has been gone for at least a week now. The forest has probably taken him back. The possibilities for his demise are countless.

Now there is only one Spot left, the neurotic one, my least favorite of the bunch. She has been sticking close since I got home.




















What to do, what to do? Do I go to the pound and get her a new companion or do I wait for the forest to take her away and have no cats. This is almost too much to bear.

I am filled with sadness.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, I am so sorry. I would get another cat if it was me because Collar has never been alone.
Sallysmom

Lola said...

I am so sorry about Crawford. Praying he will return. Another may be company for Miss collar but it won't be the same & she will know it. I can feel your pain. I've had my pet rabbit since Wed & am already getting use to her & the routine. She is white with pink eyes.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! I am so soIrry to hear about Crawford! It is so hard to lose a special pet.

Anonymous said...

Christopher, I am very sorry to here this news about Crawford. I always love seeing all you kitties in your pictures and I had wondered about Mama Spot. Before you get one from the shelter, I have an offer. I have a male kitty, young adult, that someone left in my barn. I could not leave him there as I have dogs that would kill him. He has taken up residence in my office above the garage. I am looking for a home for him. He has had all his shots, been tested for all the kitty diseases and has none, plus I had him neutered. He is a beautiful cat. A tabby like Crawford, but no white. He has some spectacular markings. He needs to be where he can get outside. I would be more than happy to bring him to you. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but life is way too short to live without pets. While you hate to lose them, they bring so much love and happiness to you while they are here. I would be happy to send you a picture. My email is dstokely@gmail.com.

Dianne

Ajax said...

Aw he was a cutie. Losing pets is such a drag. I hope he finds his way home soon.

Rebecca said...

Though not a pet owner (or even much of a pet lover), I sense your sadness and join you in it from a distance.

Just MAYBE, Crawford will return? If not, I'm betting the forest (or pound) may cough up a companion for your remaining neurotic Fur Ball.

Les said...

Maybe the forest just borrowed Crawford for a little while and will give him back soon. I hope so.

Christopher C. NC said...

There is a remote hope Crawford might have gotten lost and he will come back. With so many predator options and snakes waking up I don't have tons of hope.

Dianne I would consider your offer even if Crawford hadn't left. You have your hands full rescuing horses I am quite sure. Let me wait a week or so first.

Anonymous said...

Oh no; I am sorry to hear this. I can't imagine you without cats though. Hope another one comes into your life soon if not Crawford.

bev

Cheryl K. said...

It's indeed a sad occasion to lose a cat, and doubly so when the loss is a favorite like Crawford. I hope he comes back, but if he does not, you should get another cat. Perhaps one will find you, but there are plenty of nice cats that need good homes.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

How terrible. I am so sad for you. Your life would be so empty if you don't have cats. Of course it would be up to you to decide whether to have another. I hope Crawford is curled up by someones ac is awaiting a chance to scamper home. Big Hugs...

thistleandthorn said...

1) Cats move. They choose where they want to live, and they don't always stay where they grow up.
2) It is spring, and therefore the season of amoure (wait...did I spell that right? Let me check...)is calling all pets. I'm betting that Crawford will be home before summer.

sweetbay said...

I'm sorry to hear about Crawford's disappearance.

If you get another cat they probably wont bond. Adult cats that are not related and raised together often just tolerate each other at best.

chuck b. said...

What Les said.