Saturday, May 5, 2012

Where The Path Leads

It's not much more than a narrow foot trail, rubbed bare by repetitive wanderings. The Lush would take it back in no time in the season of vegetation if allowed to. After so many trips I know where to walk. Without a little direction others could get lost. It was time for a parting of the Lush green.




















I really have no idea what she is up to at times. Lorelei was the iris that was hated because there was so much of it. It was dug and banished from one bed only to be replanted in another. I thought this was going to be a patch of fancy catalog iris.




















Not a fancy iris to be seen in this patch yet.




















Does the wild cultivated garden look more civilized today? There are visible paths that lead you through it now.

Where?




















It would take an aerial view to really see the miles worth of narrow little foot paths winding through it all.




















Why waste space on big paths that can be filled with plants? The Lush will act as guard rails keeping you on track in your journey. Does this freshly mowed path make the wild cultivated garden look more civilized? Maybe my expectations were too high.


























There is only one place on this mountain where I can truly maintain order. Ohm.....

That is one big parsnip in there that over wintered and I am going to let bloom and set seed.




















Would you believe that the potatoes are actually becoming a pest in the roadside vegetable garden. You can never find every last potato when you dig them so they are coming up every where. I even have a full row coming up that I didn't plant. It's like I never even dug them up and ate them.

Even freakier is that there are green beans coming up from the root crowns of last year's beans. They over wintered under a thick blanket of wood chip mulch. I now have perennial green beans. I swear, I checked. These are not sprouting seeds from tossed beans. It's freaky.

Right, the only place on this mountain where I can maintain order.




















Back in the wild a Baptisia blooms pretty well in it's third year from a seedling.


























But there is no path to lead you to it. Some things get planted further off the beaten path.

5 comments:

Siria said...

WOW ... those iris are just gorgeous!

Lola said...

Love those iris. No need for paths. Nature will guide. Strange weather has produced strange things. Glad you have a repeat. It should taste good.

Fairegarden said...

Would Superstition qualify as a fancy iris? I can bring her some and maybe others if she wants. Or you do. That is pretty exciting about the perennial green beans. I am going to try that. Can't wait to see it all. Yes, mow the paths.

xo
Frances

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, this is beautiful! And perennial green beans? Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Perennial green beans! That's an absolute first! Don't tell the seed companies!

bev